dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Possible Virus?? attached .pif file

I'm not sure why but I keep getting these e-mails that always say the same exact thing:

--------
    "Hi! How are you?

I send you this file in order to have your advice

See you later. Thanks"
    ----

Then they always come with an attached file that's usually either a .doc or .zip type - But there not really that type because after the .doc or the .zip is a .pif - Which is the "Process interchange format" - Which I've read can contain a virus. I'm not sure to what extent the damage can be though. And example file would be something like:
    3DSpace.zip.pif or textscroller.zip.pif. The latest two that i've gotten.

Has anyone else recieved anything like this. I have yet to actually download the attached file to my computer (and will never do so).

Anyways I've heard that these type's of files can contain a virus - so if anyone has any info on this let me know. And if nothing else if you ever get something with the .pif extenion - Don't open it, even if it's from someone you know at least until you can verify it.

-Jeff.

Former Employee of Satan Napalm's Avatar
    Anything with a double extension is most likely a virus and should be deleted.

yup, its a virus, see:
    http://board.flashkit.com/board/show...hreadid=178393
    for more info

Wow, thanks for that thread and the message. I didn't know it was that widespread.

Thanks again.

-Jeff.

your welcome m8, looking around the 4um I think it's more wide spread than any of us thought.

that sounds like the W32.Sircam.Worm@mm worm!

If your mail anti-virus software didn't pick it up and you've opened it, then either manually remove it or update your virus definitions and remove it via your anti-virus software immediatly ok!

Sam

Ahh - Ok - so if I havn't downloaded any of the attached file, am I ok or not. Sorry to bring this back up again but I'm sorta worried about it and I don't have any anti-virus software at all on my computer.

The first time I recieved it I actually downloaded the file, but never opened it and ended up deleting it right away. I think i was just curious or somthing. But my computer is always on the internet and it's probably not as secure as it should be. Do I run out and get a copy of Norton anti-virus right now. Do I try to follow the steps outlined - or is that only if I had actually downloaded the file and opened it on my computer? Anyways any more suggestions on this is good. And I don't think it's going away that soon so probably others here on FK have it as well.

-Jeff.

Former Employee of Satan Napalm's Avatar
    If you saved the file to a folder on your PC delete it and empty your Recycle bin - cause it can be activated on a specific date for instance without you having opened the file.

If your permanently on the net - get Antivirus software as well as firewall software, like Blackice or ZoneAlarm

snowdude, get some protection!
    Anti-virus and firewall are a must especially if your always online.
    I've got a cable modem and ppl try to get in every hour of every day.
    I've got Blackice and IP tools antivirus.
    Get something, anything, it's better than nothing.

+thewham
    Originally posted by snowdude
    I'm not sure why but I keep getting these e-mails that always say the same exact thing:

--------
    "Hi! How are you?

See you later. Thanks"
    ----

Then they always come with an attached file that's usually either a .doc or .zip type - But there not really that type because after the .doc or the .zip is a .pif - Which is the "Process interchange format" - Which I've read can contain a virus. I'm not sure to what extent the damage can be though. And example file would be something like:
    3DSpace.zip.pif or textscroller.zip.pif. The latest two that i've gotten.

Has anyone else recieved anything like this. I have yet to actually download the attached file to my computer (and will never do so).

Anyways I've heard that these type's of files can contain a virus - so if anyone has any info on this let me know. And if nothing else if you ever get something with the .pif extenion - Don't open it, even if it's from someone you know at least until you can verify it.

-Jeff.

Even i got that freaking e-mail...it comes fromacaengl@eurognosi.com .

Hi! How are you?

See you later. Thanks
    (Attachment - application/MIXED)~$Χ ΥΠΟΨΗΦΙΩΝ ΓΙΑ ΚΑΝΕΛΟΠΟΥΛΟ.doc.pif

Thank god i never downloaded that **** .

What do you consider the best - Blackice, ZoneAlarm, Noron Anti-virus - etc etc. I think I'm going to get something today, probably as soon as I can. (I also have a cable modem, it's always on, and I've got 3 roomates sharing the same connection off my computer with no protection) Bad, very bad or just stupid.

Thanks.

Zonealarm is a good free firewall. BlackIce is better.
    The virus scanner in my pc was free and the updates are as well. Sadly is now no longer free. Norton is supposed to be good but it slowed down my pc loads.
    One thing about ZoneAlarm, it needs removing and reinstalling from time to time as it can go a bit wobbly.

I got 4 of thouse today....just to let you know.

Man is that thingie infectious..

mad_sci

Ps my mails were from the user Alexander and the atachments were crack.zip.com...he he he

mad_sci

If you don't understand what this worm is doing then i suggest you read:

http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/ven...m.worm@mm.html

for a well written explanation.

Sam

I am at work and have gotten this email twice today from another company, good thing I read this thread a couple days ago. I was able to prevent everyone from opening this thing. yayyy me!

It's not just being sent to FK users, the thing is spread world wide. Anyone with a windows system that has activated the worm and has your email adress in their pc can send it to you. They probably don't even know they are doing it.
    I'm gonna email everyone I know about this thing as there are so many that just don't keep up with latest virus's, worms etc.

9th Grade WC
    i only just noticed this thread now
    but i got that email a few days ago
    pain in the butt too
    it was 677 kb and downloading it with
    my 28k is really really annoying
    deleted it straight away though

I got one at my office, i cant remember the file name but it ended with......... doc.pif

It said- "I'm baaaaaaaaaack, back from my vacation".

something like that, I assumed it was a virus, eventhough it came from someone I know. deleted quick!!

Rogue

vm.interactive
    webmaster

I got 3 emails containing the same text and the same virus today. Weird. The good thing about yahoo mail is that they got their own virus detector so you can just scan the file before downloading it.