A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: the old question: MAC or PC?

Perhaps your teacher needs to hire someone that knows how to use them! The MAC is not the problem, there is no need to get defensive because you cant use it without it crashing, try some routine maintanence.

Oh the reason the MAC is used in school is because that is what is used in the real world, I have seen that in my ten years of professional experience.

i hate macs. pc's are much more intuitive.

First there was C64, then it was Amiga, now it`s PC.

MAC is just some overhyped commercial **** that is based on looks and not functionallity. PC is for the creative and flexible.

Hehe, a bit provocative...but what the hell

As a matter of fact it looks to me like the teacher has more experience than you do with your ten years...Most of his he says on a mac.
    If everyone was automatically a professional with the mac OS like you, life would be easy. That is not the case however. It is supposed to be intuitive. The mac should not freeze up... and it shouldnt take a frickin rocket scientist to fix the problem. I was under the impression that when i ask a machine simple tasks it should execute them. I am talking simple tasks here too. I know how to use a computer smart guy. Yes I take a little defense to this. you are obviously closed minded. It is evident to me that you have never really spent quality work time on a pc. Like I have done on the mac. It sounds to me like you and your ten years of experience dont have a leg to stand on in a mac vs pc conversation. Am i right? I am also curious what you do for a living? maybe our two lines of work are different. I am a graphic artist/ web designer/ software developer etc... so I need the mac to perform well using specific programs. What do you use it for. Typing documents I am assuming.
    still disgruntled....

Originally posted by j5
    What do you use it for. Typing documents I am assuming.
    still disgruntled....
    Actually small projects like web design and development for Anheuser Busch, Mercedes Benz, About six of their catalog covers including the poster catalog cover design, and that was a fun project lots of women in bikini's (bet you would kill to be at those photo shoot's), a few editorial cartoons for the Mercedes Benz Starmark catalog, a web site for ford, a redesign for Michelin's mast ad site, you know real world.

Really anyway what is the big deal these machines run the same ever since MAC OS 95.. oops I mean Windows 95 (Bill your not fooling anyone with that recycle bin, none of that stuff comes back, it's trash). I use my PC quite often actually, every time I need to check my code and make sure PC user's can see it the way it was meant to be, and I really don't have a problem with them. I just pointed out your lack of patience with something so similar to what you were boasting. (MAC vs. PC that is)

Yes my arguments may be nimble but I don't have a lot of time to sit and type on this board, I am busy being paid a bunch of money to design and build an interactive game for a web site that's consuming most of my time, and creativity. So what you are getting out of me is just my sloppy seconds.

...not disgruntled with mac or pc, but highly creative and productive.

well i didn't know you were so popular in the same field as me. You must be making so much more money than me. I do the same thing you do on the flip side. I make sure People on macs can see the same things i create with a pc... without chewing up the layout and spitting it out. I am glad to see that your time is valuable, as is mine. I guess we got no where with that argument. Keep on keeping on man, with sites like mercedes and ford... you must be ready to retire. WOW! I hope i get the last word.
    PC's rule

Does it matter? We're all going after the same results, so who cares how we get there.

I really didn't want to come back to this but hey!!! It's too tempting and have to share it with you all

I did have a similar debate with a designer at work who loves his mac (fair enough) and we left it there as you know how these arguments are and how they can go for ages.....

A day later he came,all frustrated and stressed and asked if he could use my PC or somebody else's to run his movie and finish off his stuff (he was designing a screensaver using Flash 4) and since then he's been spending more and more time with our 'old,ugly beige, opaque PCs'....

How sweet!!! ....

A

President, save the
    New Zealand dollar foundation

I posted before on this, I'm definitely for PC's, I know how to build them so they kick ass, have minimal down time, scream when they need to (all the time in my line of work), BUT yes I still drool over the mac catalogue - I mean there is no excuse for uglyness is there? the G4 cube, what a masterpiece (Does it run win98? )if only my bank manager believed I needed it, he just won't let my student overdraft foot the bill!?

LoungeLizard
    Bollocks duderinos!
    If your machine crashes you´re not treating it right.
    The MacOS is at least by my experiences more stable than windows. When you have problems with the machine it means there is something causing it.
    If you can´t fix it, get help.
    It gets me mad when people spend bigmoney on a computer and can´t be bothered to learn how to use it.
    I sure hope that doesn´t apply to yall since this forum is quite techy, but there are to many computers around that aren´t used to their fullest.
    Their sad tales of being surfmachines or gamesconsoles makes me wanna start CLF, computer liberation front.

We break into unqualified peoples houses, steal.. Uh, I mean, Liberate their computer and relocate it to some young poor computerless whizkid.

With me or against me?

Enlightened One
    I spent 2500 on a G3, just because I liked the colors. It looks really good in my room. I am so in the in crowd.

[Edited by buddha on 09-06-2000 at 07:17 AM]

Former Employee of Satan Napalm's Avatar
    Originally posted by buddha
    I spent 2500 on a G3, just because I liked the colors. It looks really good in my room. I am so in the in crowd.

Except for the pretty colors how's the performance?
    I'm asking because I'm working on a print advert in Photoshop thats 180 megs big and my PC isn't very happy.
    I actually took a dual pentium server with a gig of RAM and before it was fine.

Enlightened One
    Mine crashes sometimes as all computers do. I know two print designers that swear by there Macs. Both work on files up to 400 MB, with no problem. I think enough ram is a good defense against crashes when using big files.

If you MAC dudes want to see the creativity of Amiga and PC users when it comes to making graphic look here:

http://gfxzone.planet-d.net/

Most of the people uses PC and have or use Amiga too. Why they use those machines is because they have generally been much cheaper than MAC and there are more variety in graphic software (especially for PC).

I guess you MAC people never have heard about Pixel-programs. Creativity is not based on computers but their users. Why they choose Amiga and PC instead of MAC is pretty obvious for us that have owned those machines

I know people who pick their girlfriends that way too!!

Enlightened One
    Originally posted by 8r14n

I know people who pick their girlfriends that way too!!
    Absolutely. All Mac users choose the opposite sex by the way they look. We don't care what's inside as long as they look good.

Red face

I'd describe myself as a PC user, but I have a G4 on my desk too. Pretty much exclusively for Video editing and Sound production. Everything else is done on a PC.

There was a time when I was creating print designs and everything was created on a mac. I remember having a lareg poster over 6 feet long who's Photoshop file was over a gig large and I needed 500mb of Ram to even open it. Building that file was painful. I build a low res version first and then rebuilt it to scale. Aside from color accuaracy specifically for print, even that gig PS file could have been created on a PC. The mac kicks but with color calibration. I'm so sure it's a big deal if you work in Flash or for the web. Flash can't create non-web safe colors.

Enlightened One
    I have heard a few people speak of problems with Flash play back in Flash. I am a little concerned with that. I want a pc, but the cost of buying all the Pc versions of my software will break me.
    If you can produce the result. Who cares what you use?

I guess look is an important issue, if you can afford to pay the cutting-edge industrial design that comes with the macs good for you, but i personally consider those things superfluous, specially if im gonna plunge down an extra grand for the cuteness. But what i really consider when i look for a computer (and a OS) is if it would really satisfy my working demands? the results i would get from it are marketable? sellable? I have a 12 year print background and i can tell you without doubt the Mac is a total champion when it comes to graphic design, layout and prepress procedures, but in the Web arena the story is different: 9 out of 10 computers in the world are PC´s, it means roughly that same percentage of visitors to your website (unless yours is an apple-only targeted website). Which platform means the best course of action? With which one are you going to test your jobs? Which computer reflects the choice of the majority? Besides... towards which platform is all the mainstream web industry directed to?? Believe me, the day the majority of the millions of Internet users switch to Mac i´ll be the first to run and buy myself one of those.
    I want to be "in favour of" the mainstream not "against".

Enlightened One
    Originally posted by pwilster
    I guess look is an important issue, if you can afford to pay the cutting-edge industrial design that comes with the macs good for you, but i personally consider those things superfluous, specially if im gonna plunge down an extra grand for the cuteness. But what i really consider when i look for a computer (and a OS) is if it would really satisfy my working demands? the results i would get from it are marketable? sellable? I have a 12 year print background and i can tell you without doubt the Mac is a total champion when it comes to graphic design, layout and prepress procedures, but in the Web arena the story is different: 9 out of 10 computers in the world are PC´s, it means roughly that same percentage of visitors to your website (unless yours is an apple-only targeted website). Which platform means the best course of action? With which one are you going to test your jobs? Which computer reflects the choice of the majority? Besides... towards which platform is all the mainstream web industry directed to?? Believe me, the day the majority of the millions of Internet users switch to Mac i´ll be the first to run and buy myself one of those.
    I want to be "in favour of" the mainstream not "against".
    If you are referring to my comment on looks. I was being sarcastic towards the people that think that is what Mac users do. Silly comments like that are annoying to good arguments.
    I do feel an outsider sometimes, but for now I just set my Mac's gamma to PC and that works fine.
    I don't think you have to have a PC just because everyone has one. As long as I can test on a PC, I get along fine.
    If I could go back in time, maybe I would buy a PC before Mac, but I wouldn't prefer it.