A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: font in .swf changes on other computers

when i go to view my site at other poeples computers it seems like the font changes to time romans, when its not even set to that. i have my text set on "dynamic" because this font looks good only on the dynamic setting, if its set on static it will look fuzzy and really bad quality. i just need it to not change so other people can view it with the font i've choosen..without having to put it on static.

i hope someone can help!!

my suggestions are:

a. Go over to http://www.miniml.com, download some fonts and follow the isntructions provided to make the text not fuzzy.

b. use a gif instead of text

c. use a system font (the ones that begin with _, e.g. _sans). These fonts won't become blurry.

hth.

Make sure you arent using device fonts in your site, as this will cause the browser to use one of the standard fonts (for example Times New Roman) if the font you used isnt installed on the machine.

If your text looks to 'fuzzy' due to anti-aliasing, then basically you've got it FAR too small. Always need to remember that people have got to be able to actually read the text, not just lok at it on an aesthetic level!

Originally posted by Covenent
    Make sure you arent using device fonts in your site, as this will cause the browser to use one of the standard fonts (for example Times New Roman) if the font you used isnt installed on the machine.

That's only if the computer doesn't have the device font, which is rare on it's own. And if that is the case flash will find the closest font, not necessatily the default one.

well you all have been a good help..i've learned a bit more than i knew before but it didn't really help my problem. i would try making all the text into .gif format or some type of image...but the problem with that is i have alot of text on this page and i really don't want to spend soo much time converting all the text into images. i also tried other text but i don't have any text that looks as nice as the one i have up. i'll see what i can come up with. thank all of you for the help i really apprecate it.

if your using small fonts, make sure you line them up on whole integer levels.
    For example, line up the font on
    x=50
    y=140

NOT

x=50.2
    y=140.5

That will always take away the fuzziness on static text for me.