A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Action scriptting blues

I can program in javascript, asp, some java and jsp, but this action scripting is driving me crazy. Can someone point me to a resource where i can learn the basics.

Like how to control buttons and sounds. how to right a good function. Etc....

well there are plenty of tutorials on Flashkit, the help files that come with Flash are vaguely good too.

I have yet to find many good resources on functions besides the FK boards and http://www.actionscripts.org

Plenty of books too. I have "flash 5 actionscript FX and design" as well as Friends of Ed dynamic content studio, the are very good.

Smile Thanks for the tips

Originally posted by defuzz
    well there are plenty of tutorials on Flashkit, the help files that come with Flash are vaguely good too.

I have yet to find many good resources on functions besides the FK boards and http://www.actionscripts.org

Plenty of books too. I have "flash 5 actionscript FX and design" as well as Friends of Ed dynamic content studio, the are very good.
    Thanks homie! This is what i'm trying to do.

I'm developing a music app. On my app, I have 2 buttons that each have a sound file on the down frame inside the buttons.

When you press on the first button, it should play the short mp3 file inside it. When you press on the second button it should stop playing the sound from the first button and play the sound in the second button. But I can't get it to do that. When you press the first button and press the second button, it plays both mp3 files at the same time.

I tried to use and action script that had the stopAllSounds command to stop the first sound then start playing the new sound in the button, but I could get it to work. There is no stop button in my app, I want the current sound to stop when another button is pressed.

Hey man,

here's a really cheap way of doing what you need. I'm sure there are other easier methods but hopefully you'll get the general idea and can take it from there. Hope it helps.
    http://www.codegraphics.com/sound.fla
    ____
    MIKE

Angry cool

thanks, I'll try it tonight.

Your site is nice.

You know what, I forgot to upload that file. But I just did so if you click the link now it will download the fla. and you can take a look. Though I didn't realize the size of the sound clips I used. Kinda large.
    ____
    MIKE

okay thanks. I got it.

i wish it was that easy

thanks, but my sound is inside the buttons. How do I stop a sound inside a button. or better yet if I try it your way. how do I tell the script to go to that button and play the sound?

I think it would be a lot easier if you didn't put the sound in the button personally. But if you do you can still put the button into a movie clip and then give the clip an instance name. Say sound for example. Then when you need to stop the sound for that button from say another button use

on (release){
    _root.sound.stopAllSounds;
    }
    Try that and let me know.
    ____
    MIKE