dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Who's running Windows 2000?

Beyond the Sea
    Can you help me test this file:
    http://www.richpaul.com/writefile.zip
    {about 280k}

It's a simple example flash projector that writes a text file to the c: drive and reads it back in. This uses The Master's free command line flash tool programs that he wrote and I think it's a great solution. I'm only using two of them here, ftooltext.exe (to write the text file) and ftoolapp.exe (to delete the text file).

The only problem seems to be with Win2K. I've had a few people say they can't get it to work on their systems. I know it works on win98 and win95, but if you have Win2K, could you please download it and see if it works for you? Please post specs of your system and any other relevant info in this thread.

thanks in advance,
    Rich

Beyond the Sea

c'mon guys...

somebody's got to be running windows 2000. I'll even settle for Windows NT.

Somebody help me!

Since I run and programmed FTLC 5 under Windows 2000 I can only report that the tools should run fine..

I tested your tools and this was the result of the textfile I got on my c: drive

&bob=yeahBaby

By the way you don't need ftoolapp.exe to delete files.. I believe that ftooltext.exe still has that ability as well.. (though perhaphs I didn't document it in the Beta pages )

Beyond the Sea

Awsome!

It's working. So, there was no problem with ftools, it was my programming (no surprise there).

Now here's a tough question. Using ftoolkill.exe to kill a video window. Do windows have the same classes under win2k as win98? For some reason, now the client is reporting that the window doesn't close when you click on the button to close it. It works fine on my win98 system, so I can only think that maybe it's killing a class of window that doesn't exist in win2k?

The window class for the video under windows 98 is:
    MCIQTZ_Window

any help is appreciated, and thanks for checking my file.

That's a interesting question.. I assumed they would be the same but it's possible there not.. It would really just require double checking on two OS's..

If your trying to kill a instance of ActiveMovie or more specifically ftoolmci, I'm not sure it's possible to kill it while it's running.. because the programmed process involved is to force the movie to reach the end before exiting..

Not to mention that ftoolmci is a process not really a actual application.. (therefore it shouldn't count as a window)

it works

I checked your program. It works under win2000.

BTW, why not to use the methods that specified here:
    http://www.ci-berpages.com/flash/flash.htm

Beyond the Sea
    Do you mean, why not just use command.com to save a text file? Well, I was already using The Master's tools elsewhere so I figured I'd use ftooltext.exe for consistency's sake. Thanks for checking.

Now, Master, I was able to kill the window no problem in win98. I used spy.exe to find the class of the window while it was running and it retured the class I refer to in the post above. I'll post up another sample for you to test with a fake movie file and everything. This is the last snag to my getting this CD-ROM out the door...