A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Making text inside scroller clickable Flash actions...

I've seen plenty of scrollers that will load an external text file and scroll it. I know I can add <a href></a> tags inside that text file so Flash will open a URL.

Has anyone got a clue how to make those clickable links tell Flash to do something?

Thanks, Chuck
    http://www.letterheadfonts.com

Hack
    It's an undocumented, but very useful, feature:

<a href="asfunction:functionname,parameter">Action Link</a>

This will invoke the function you substitute for 'functionname'. You cannot include more than one parameter, however, so if you need to send more than one you have to lump them all together in one value ('parameter') and sort them out later, inside the function.

Yeah, I stumbled on to that and was excited at first. The text was nice and clear. I put a long string of text with links for each item... and it works -- sort of...

You can click on one item when the movie loads, but if you try to click on another, it won't work. Even if you have a long list of items with links for each item, they all will work, but you can only choose one.

Oh well, back to my original goofy blurry scroller.

--Chuck

Hack
    Perhaps that's why it's undocumented.

I've heard that it only has problems with functions that perform "gotos". If your function has goto statements in it, and you can figure out another way to do what you're doing WITHOUT using gotos, try that and see if it works.