dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: I need books recomendations please!

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Posts
    2

    Post

    HI there, well as you may notice I'm new in this Flash programing. I'm trying to learn as fast I could but I need a book, any help of you people that recomend a Flash book will be appreciated. Thanks!

  2. #2
    Wizard of preloaders
    Great master of web searches

    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Posts
    687
    if you are at the beginnings, i would suggest: "macromedia flash 5 animating for the web", that covers all the basics.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Posts
    72
    Originally posted by fabiopao
    if you are at the beginnings, i would suggest: "macromedia flash 5 animating for the web", that covers all the basics.
    How about The Flash 5 Bible?

  4. #4
    FK Resident Amazon

    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    B-MORE!
    Posts
    288
    i think friends of ed are great...

    ther's a whole series... very comprehensive from beginner to expert

    http://www.friendsofed.com

  5. #5
    FK Catwoman Aria's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Travelling
    Posts
    2,313
    Originally posted by Chelle2008
    i think friends of ed are great...

    ther's a whole series... very comprehensive from beginner to expert

    http://www.friendsofed.com
    i agree

    they have a good range - also check out Moocks AS book
    some extracts are online http://www.moock.org !

    Great book
    A

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Posts
    72
    Originally posted by Chelle2008
    i think friends of ed are great...

    ther's a whole series... very comprehensive from beginner to expert

    http://www.friendsofed.com
    [B]Hi there,
    I was very glad to visit that link. but I need your help because I'm in trouble now. You know there are a lot of books and they say that I can download the codes. What is this thing called 'code'? Some files are more that 500 KB so if I download'em all, will I be able to get the full book? PLease inform me, will you?
    Future_Flash

  7. #7
    Senior Member mg33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    1,539
    The absolute best actionscript book I've found is Actionscripting in Flash by Phillip Kerman. It's by Sams publishing. It breaks things down into a programming approach, chapter breakdowns are relevent, and the best thing of all is that it reads very well-that's important. Many actionscript books are written in a way that's not all that easy to understand, even for people well versed in Actionscript. But I highly favor this one and reccommend it over most others.

    mg33

  8. #8
    New Wave Visionray's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    X
    Posts
    544
    Originally posted by mg33
    The absolute best actionscript book I've found is Actionscripting in Flash by Phillip Kerman. It's by Sams publishing. It breaks things down into a programming approach, chapter breakdowns are relevent, and the best thing of all is that it reads very well-that's important. Many actionscript books are written in a way that's not all that easy to understand, even for people well versed in Actionscript. But I highly favor this one and reccommend it over most others.

    mg33
    I agree. I have that book too. Its a great book with lots of practical examples of actionscripting and its easy to understand. There are a number of workshops it takes you through, such as building dynamic slideshows and creating timers.

  9. #9
    FK Resident Amazon

    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    B-MORE!
    Posts
    288
    Originally posted by Future_Flash
    [B]
    Originally posted by Chelle2008
    i think friends of ed are great...

    ther's a whole series... very comprehensive from beginner to expert

    http://www.friendsofed.com
    Hi there,
    I was very glad to visit that link. but I need your help because I'm in trouble now. You know there are a lot of books and they say that I can download the codes. What is this thing called 'code'? Some files are more that 500 KB so if I download'em all, will I be able to get the full book? PLease inform me, will you?
    Future_Flash
    The file sizes are big b/c they are the .fla files for each chapter.

    that way u have the finished .fla to compare to the one you are working on as you go through the book.

    you mos definitely still need the book... the downloads don't come with instructions... and you won't learn much from them without the book... but you will still be glad u bought their books


  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Posts
    72
    Originally posted by Chelle2008
    [B]
    Originally posted by Future_Flash
    Originally posted by Chelle2008
    i think friends of ed are great...

    ther's a whole series... very comprehensive from beginner to expert

    http://www.friendsofed.com
    Hi there,
    I was very glad to visit that link. but I need your help because I'm in trouble now. You know there are a lot of books and they say that I can download the codes. What is this thing called 'code'? Some files are more that 500 KB so if I download'em all, will I be able to get the full book? PLease inform me, will you?
    Future_Flash


    The file sizes are big b/c they are the .fla files for each chapter.

    that way u have the finished .fla to compare to the one you are working on as you go through the book.

    you mos definitely still need the book... the downloads don't come with instructions... and you won't learn much from them without the book... but you will still be glad u bought their books

    Hi there,
    I'll have nothing to do with the .fla files if I don't get to read the instruction. So your advice to visit the link heavily sucks, doesn't it? Shame on you man!
    Future_Flash

  11. #11
    FK Resident Amazon

    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    B-MORE!
    Posts
    288
    Originally posted by Future_Flash

    Hi there,
    I'll have nothing to do with the .fla files if I don't get to read the instruction. So your advice to visit the link heavily sucks, doesn't it? Shame on you man!
    Future_Flash

    uhhh... you get the instruction when you buy the book.
    that's what the book is for...
    that's what i thought this thread was all about... good books!

    why would they post the whole book for download for free? then nobody would buy the book slick!

    then there would be no friends of ed!

    so my advice does not suck you are just confused...

    the main point here is that the .fla files are for COMPARISON as you read the book, they are not a tutorial by themselves...

    and you are missing out on some great books!

    and i am not a man!!!

  12. #12
    yeah, shame on you, man )
    LMAO

    seriously, though friends of ed books rock. If you're a beginner, get foundation flash or foundation actionscript

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Posts
    72

    Smile

    Originally posted by deFUNKT
    yeah, shame on you, man )
    LMAO

    seriously, though friends of ed books rock. If you're a beginner, get foundation flash or foundation actionscript
    Hi there,
    Thank you very much for supporting me man! I like you.

  14. #14
    eh glad I could help - i think? ( please note that this was what Chelle was suggesting, I'm just agree-ing...)

    complicated thread this is becoming...

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    36
    I'm glad people like my book!

    You can read complete sample chapters and download the workshop files at:
    http://www.phillipkerman.com/actionscripting

    Phillip

  16. #16
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Posts
    7

    Flash Books

    Friends of Ed series are the best books around. Take you through proper examples with excellent instruction. Brilliant books

    http://www.friendsofed.com

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    36

    Re: Flash Books

    Originally posted by acurrie
    Friends of Ed series are the best books around.

    Just out of curiousity, have you read every Flash book out there? Quite an accomplishment if you have. I suspect you simply like the Freinds of Ed books...

    I just think it's a tad misguided to say something is the "best" or to say "this is the only book you'll ever need" for example.

    Phillip

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  




Click Here to Expand Forum to Full Width

HTML5 Development Center