dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: I need books recomendations please!

HI there, well as you may notice I'm new in this Flash programing. I'm trying to learn as fast I could but I need a book, any help of you people that recomend a Flash book will be appreciated. Thanks!

Wizard of preloaders
    Great master of web searches

if you are at the beginnings, i would suggest: "macromedia flash 5 animating for the web", that covers all the basics.

Originally posted by fabiopao
    if you are at the beginnings, i would suggest: "macromedia flash 5 animating for the web", that covers all the basics.
    How about The Flash 5 Bible?

FK Resident Amazon

i think friends of ed are great...

ther's a whole series... very comprehensive from beginner to expert

http://www.friendsofed.com

Originally posted by Chelle2008

i agree

they have a good range - also check out Moocks AS book
    some extracts are online http://www.moock.org !

Great book
    A

[B]Hi there,
    I was very glad to visit that link. but I need your help because I'm in trouble now. You know there are a lot of books and they say that I can download the codes. What is this thing called 'code'? Some files are more that 500 KB so if I download'em all, will I be able to get the full book? PLease inform me, will you?
    Future_Flash

The absolute best actionscript book I've found is Actionscripting in Flash by Phillip Kerman. It's by Sams publishing. It breaks things down into a programming approach, chapter breakdowns are relevent, and the best thing of all is that it reads very well-that's important. Many actionscript books are written in a way that's not all that easy to understand, even for people well versed in Actionscript. But I highly favor this one and reccommend it over most others.

mg33

Originally posted by mg33
    The absolute best actionscript book I've found is Actionscripting in Flash by Phillip Kerman. It's by Sams publishing. It breaks things down into a programming approach, chapter breakdowns are relevent, and the best thing of all is that it reads very well-that's important. Many actionscript books are written in a way that's not all that easy to understand, even for people well versed in Actionscript. But I highly favor this one and reccommend it over most others.

mg33
    I agree. I have that book too. Its a great book with lots of practical examples of actionscripting and its easy to understand. There are a number of workshops it takes you through, such as building dynamic slideshows and creating timers.

FK Resident Amazon

Originally posted by Future_Flash
    [B]

Hi there,
    I was very glad to visit that link. but I need your help because I'm in trouble now. You know there are a lot of books and they say that I can download the codes. What is this thing called 'code'? Some files are more that 500 KB so if I download'em all, will I be able to get the full book? PLease inform me, will you?
    Future_Flash
    The file sizes are big b/c they are the .fla files for each chapter.

that way u have the finished .fla to compare to the one you are working on as you go through the book.

you mos definitely still need the book... the downloads don't come with instructions... and you won't learn much from them without the book... but you will still be glad u bought their books

[B]

Hi there,
    Future_Flash

The file sizes are big b/c they are the .fla files for each chapter.

that way u have the finished .fla to compare to the one you are working on as you go through the book.

you mos definitely still need the book... the downloads don't come with instructions... and you won't learn much from them without the book... but you will still be glad u bought their books

Hi there,
    I'll have nothing to do with the .fla files if I don't get to read the instruction. So your advice to visit the link heavily sucks, doesn't it? Shame on you man!
    Future_Flash

FK Resident Amazon

Hi there,
    I'll have nothing to do with the .fla files if I don't get to read the instruction. So your advice to visit the link heavily sucks, doesn't it? Shame on you man!
    Future_Flash

uhhh... you get the instruction when you buy the book.
    that's what the book is for...
    that's what i thought this thread was all about... good books!

why would they post the whole book for download for free? then nobody would buy the book slick!

then there would be no friends of ed!

so my advice does not suck you are just confused...

the main point here is that the .fla files are for COMPARISON as you read the book, they are not a tutorial by themselves...

and you are missing out on some great books!

and i am not a man!!!

yeah, shame on you, man )
    LMAO

seriously, though friends of ed books rock. If you're a beginner, get foundation flash or foundation actionscript

Smile

Originally posted by deFUNKT
    yeah, shame on you, man )
    LMAO

seriously, though friends of ed books rock. If you're a beginner, get foundation flash or foundation actionscript
    Hi there,
    Thank you very much for supporting me man! I like you.

eh glad I could help - i think? ( please note that this was what Chelle was suggesting, I'm just agree-ing...)

complicated thread this is becoming...

I'm glad people like my book!

You can read complete sample chapters and download the workshop files at:
    http://www.phillipkerman.com/actionscripting

Phillip

Flash Books

Friends of Ed series are the best books around. Take you through proper examples with excellent instruction. Brilliant books

Re: Flash Books

Originally posted by acurrie
    Friends of Ed series are the best books around.

Just out of curiousity, have you read every Flash book out there? Quite an accomplishment if you have. I suspect you simply like the Freinds of Ed books...

I just think it's a tad misguided to say something is the "best" or to say "this is the only book you'll ever need" for example.

Phillip