A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: LoadMovie working with .swf, not with .exe....

Thumbs down

Hi,

I've created a CD Presentation using Flash4. It Loads one swf (used autorun)plays it Fullscreen (used fscommand), then loads another swf, so on till all are played. I've also added buttons on all the swf's to give more interactivity.

This plays perfectly excepting a few minor hiccups like -

On using the buttons, the sound stops playing (don't know why). The main movie is on level zero; it loads the swf on the same level i.e. zero(containing a soundloop set to 'event' & looped 999 times).Simultaneously it loads another movie at level 1.

I've put Load command at the last frame in all the movies.From hereon all movies load/Unload at level 1.

But when i convert all of these into .exe(projector) the first movie plays & when it ends nothing gets loaded, not the sound movie or the other swf's. Only this first movie plays. Yes,yes yes, I've taken care to change the movie extensions in the script from .swf to .exe.

e.g. My first movie is Intro.swf. I changed it to Intro.exe.
    It loads "SoundTrack.swf" on level 0 & "Main.swf" on level1.
    Ofcourse I've converted Both into .exe & made corresponding extension change in the script. Still doesn't work.

HELP!!!!Boohooooohooooooo!!!!!

Lifetime Friend of Site Staff Northcode's Avatar

You can't use loadMovie to load EXE files. You have to keep the movies you want to load as SWF files. Just convert the first SWF to an EXE.

Hi Northcode,

Thanx 4 UR reply!!!But....

When I made this Flash presentation & burned it onto a cd, I found that majority of the times it wouldn't run on others pc's just coz they had no Flashplayer.The problem is that a whole lot of people in India donot have a flash player . That is when i thought of turning it into an exe.And it didn't work.

So is there any other way by which i can play it as an exe??? Or do i keep everything as a swf, and also burn a FlashPlayer installer onto the same cd???? And if so where do i get a flashplayer installer (Macromedia has no such option*)?????

Regards & Thanx,
    Avi

*On Macromedia's site, the Flash Player gets directly installed onto our pc's. Nowhere did i find the option of downloading a FlashPlayer Installation Pack/Kit.

flash player

ANY exe file that you made by Macromedia Flash include Flash player. So user of your CD don't need Flash Player installer, he simply run exe file.

Second, read attentively what Northcode said "You can't use loadMovie to load EXE files". You can load swf files. You also can rename "swf" extension into any other, for instance "db" or "data" (may be you are interested in hiding info that you use flash), but not only "exe".

Good luck.

You can use the EXEC command to load EXE files but they will each appear in their own windows instead of as part of your main movie. If you can live with that you can make it work.

You might also want to check out SWF Studio (www.northcode.com) as a possible solution. You can use SWF Studio to turn the first SWF into an EXE and then you can load SWF files like you want to do with only slight mods to your loadMovie calls.

Hi,

Thanx northcode & reder.
    Without sounding repetitive, wot u mean is that if i keep the main movie as .exe & all else as .swf, this presentation will play on any pc, whether they have a flashplayer installed or not???
    I hade 2 ask this coz every suggestion means chewing another cd, and over her, for a beginner, they are damn expensive. Sorry.

Also, i did check out the SWF STUDIO. Sure looks impressive,but sadly enough I didn't see any trial version, (or did i miss it??).

And any tips on how 2 make an image as an icon, i.e supposing i've created my own name as a design element using photoshop or some other graphic program. How do i convert it to an icon (.ico)????? [Hey maybe this is not the right forum for this sort of query, plz do give me some guidance though}

Regards & thanx,
    Avi

Originally posted by avrinder
    Also, i did check out the SWF STUDIO. Sure looks impressive,but sadly enough I didn't see any trial version, (or did i miss it??).
    Try the following link:
    http://www.northcode.com/cgi-bin/dlo...les/Studio.exe

That link gets you the EXE but not the full package (mising some required DLLs). You can download the trial version (with installer) from http://www.northcode.com/studio/try.html