A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: ftools problem

Hi
    Bonehead question here

I am trying to open up PDF's from within Flash 5 (swf's in HTML) on a CDrom. I can get ftools (www.flashtools.net) to open PDF's from the stand alone swf file but I cannot get it to work when they are part of an HTML page. What stupid thing am I not getting here?

An additional problem I am having is that some of these PDF's (alot in fact) have links to other PDF's located in the same directory. However, when I open up one of these PDF's from a swf file (located in a different directory from the PDF's) the link (in the PDF) no longer works even though if you open up the PDF directly the link works. How come?

Any help with this would be much appreciated

Thanks

Derek

If you want the PDF's to open in a browser then you should use GetURL.. cause I don't know a way of calling PDF's in there default browser plugin through my program..

As for your links.. it may be that you need to call open a index file .PDX for the PDF for the links to work (I'm not really sure this is true but.. maybe)

I've never tryed to interlink PDF to PDF so if you have no luck with the Index file theory .PDX.. email me or pop a web server a demo of two PDF files interlinked and I'll figure it out for yah

PDF in reader from Flash file in browser

Hi
    Thanks for your reply. I just want to make sure I have this right. This project that I am working on consists of a browswer window with a flash file embeded in it (calling other flash files) that will be run on off a cdrom. I need to call up PDF files in reader and not another browser window. I was under the impression that Ftoolapp could do this? Correct me if I am wrong.

As for the PDF linking thing...Maybe I am going about this totally backward. All I am trying to do is open up PDF files at specific places (bookmarks). The (hack) solution was to open up small files that link to those bookmarks (which seems to work). But maybe you know of a way to open up a PDF at specified bookmarks. (!)

Thanks again for your help

And I quote my FAQ..
    http://216.38.42.85/faq/

How can I open executables, pdf's, and other files via the web?

You can't.

That would allow virus's to proliferate massively..

However, with plugins and ActiveX controls this is possible.. (it's also not a bad idea for a Intranet.. if you run one)

There are many such plugins and ActiveX controls available at the listing at http://www.download.com (keep in mind though that once the USER has said plugin.. it could still be used by 3rd party's websites malicious..consider yourself warned)

(as you can see I need to rewrite this.. but umm you get the point..)

My tools only work with projectors..