A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: disappearing dynamic text field BUG? PLEASE READ!

Hi everyone!

Just spent about two hours or more debugging a bl**dy flash file with a colleague, where dynamic text fields wouldn't show up if you embed the font. Ended up tracing the problem to a piece of static text, which was using the same font. Deleted the static text - dynamic text fields showed up fine!

Here's the fla for everyone, I still can't believe this is causing problems:
    http://tortoisedezign.virtualave.net...blem.fla<br />

If you have seen this before - please let me know! Any feedback much appreciated!

Happy flashing - n

I've found that if you have a dynamic text box with no embedding (to force non-aliasing) and another static text box using the same font it simply won't display the dynamic text. I think it's because the static text if making Flash embed a small portion of the font and that means the display engine is trying to display the dynamic text field aliased as well (but not finding the right characters embedded).

I think you need to use different fonts for display and dynamic to solve this.

thanks for the reply tone, this is the conclusion I came to as well. but that is pretty freaky, don't you think? and very hard to find the error if you don't know so already

Smile you can't use dynamic to post static text

Originally posted by enemem
    Just spent about two hours or more debugging a bl**dy flash file with a colleague, where dynamic text fields wouldn't show up if you embed the font. Ended up tracing the problem to a piece of static text, which was using the same font. Deleted the static text - dynamic text fields showed up fine! [/B]

Well, primarily your problem is that you're trying to display dynamic text without providing it the variable information that it's asking for. (*in other words, using the dynamic text option and typing text in that field is not going to work no matter WHAT font you're using*)

Your variable text field is using the variable name: test1 so, somewhere in that flash file you've got to assign a property to that variable....

for example, create a layer for your actions, then create an action that reads like so:

test1 = "Dynamic text will work now because I assigned a value to the variable.";

So when you go to test your movie, you'll see: Dynamic text will work now because I assigned a value to the variable. and not a blank box.

Make sense?

Also one thing I found out is that if you're using variable text and are animating that layer (like moving the text field around)... you can't rotate the text at all (like even -2 degrees. It has to be at 0 degrees or it won't display the text.

Any questions, give me a hollar.

- michael
    discocentral.com

discocentral
    Well, primarily your problem is that you're trying to display dynamic text without providing it the variable information that it's asking for.

No, this isn't true. Flash will automatically initialise the variable of the dynamic text box with the text that you type into it in the authoring environment.

And unfortunately the problem I described occurs whether or not you re-assign the variable with another value

As for the 0 degrees thing - I know! That is one of the most annoying things ever, huh? Makes you wonder what is going on in the background really for this not to work...

thanks for the answers tho - see ya - n.

Similar problem

I have a similar problem I think.

I have three dynamic fields in the root, with some static text as well, all using verdana. I have some more dynamic fields in movie clips.

All works, if the dynamic fields have no text embedded (and it will not antialias), but if I try to give all the dynamic text all characters embedded, the three fields in root won't display anything any more, whereas the one embedded in the movieclip continues to work.

Obviously I then tried putting the 'rogue' 3 ones into a separate movieclip, but unfortunately that did not seem to solve the problem.

Any ideas?
    ... nads ...

ANOTHER SOLUTION FOR DYNAMICTEXT FONT BUG (when a static text is using the same font)

Its simple, i made a copy of the font so dynamic uses one copy and static the other... download FONT CREATOR or another font editor to edit the name of the font. Remember to restart flash for font to take effect. This method worked for me.