A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: How do I export fonts with my Flash files?

Can someone tell me if it's possible to export fonts woth my SWF files?

I can't remember coming accorss this ability in Flash. But, surely there must be a way?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Jam

Assuming you are using version 5, (not sure about 4 -- might be the same) change your text from "Static Text" to "Dynamic Text" and then check the buttons under :Embed fonts" at the bottom. The one on the left embeds all characters. Or you may want to choose which ones (smaller file size) by typing in the characters in the box provided.

My new "Fontster" uses dynamic text movies with the fonts embeded. You can change the font you want to see your message in... Check it out:

http://www.letterheadfonts.com/fontster

flash automatically embeds fonts when u export them, in version 4 too! You don't have to worry about that.

Of course embedding and exporting are two different things. Perhaps I misunderstood, but I assumed he meant "embed" since Flash already automatically exports the font.

Besides, I wanted to plug my site.

--Chuck
    http://www.letterheadfonts.com

wait, so whats the difference between export and embed? I know generally, but in fonts in flash, I jsut assumed they were referring to the same thing. And when I said export, I meant publish [the movie]. my bad.

Cool

When you create a dynamic field, you have to tell Flash to export the characters you want to be available, otherwise they won't show up properly. In other words the letters from the font you chose will be embedded in the .swf for use by the client. They are embedded for the field your client will fill themselves.

Exported fonts are only used once (static) where you typed and are included by default.

1. Open your Macromedia Flash software and create a new file (File/New/Flash Document)

2. For the new font to work we need to create it in Flash’s Library also. Click the Library’s contextual menu and select New Font.
    3. From the pop-up window that appears choose the normal Verdana font, size 13 and name it “Verdana” like so:
    5. Hit OK and you’re done. As you can see the font item is present in your Library.