dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Games

Question

Please help! I am currently working on a project for a schools website which is being designed in Flash 5. I am trying to find games which can be downloaded (.fla's) and customised. Obviously these games need to be suitable for primary school children.

Does anyone know of any which would be cool?

Cheers
    Andy

Señor member
    Hi Andy,

I know there are a few games that might be suitable for the age group you mention on our very own Flashkit. I guess it depends on the sort of thing you want really. I don't know what might be suitable for kids of that sort of age. I know you could find things like Hangman (although you might want to re-brand it as "spelling man" maybe ) as a learning game.

Is it this sort of thing you need? Let us know in a little more detail and I'm sure we could find some good ones for you.

(p.s. Did you mean customised by yourself or by the user of the game?) Regards.

Games

Thanks for the swift reply.Basically looking for anything that could hold some kids attention but without involving any kind of violence! Hangman is a good idea but may be a bit much to customise it so that if you dont get it right you hang the headmaster!! Thats the kind of thing that i mean though so for example maybe I could customise it so that the headmaster rides around a racetrack on his go-ped.

I can customise the movies but Im finding it hard to find ones which will be of interest to primary school children and can customise it.

Many thanks
    Andy

Señor member
    Ok, I'll have a look around today to see if I can find anything that would be good.

Re: Games

Originally posted by acurrie
    ...without involving any kind of violence! Hangman is a good idea...

heh heh.

Anyway, I know this is going to sound strange, but you might want to go for something somewhat simple. the headmaster on the track sounds good for kids who have already played computer games before.. how old is your target audience?

If they haven't toyed with a playstation or gameboy before (and I presume not all of them have) then that track thing might be quite tricky.

Boring for us, but perhaps interesting for them, would be something really simple like a 'shapes in the hole' puzzle thing. Circle goes in cirlce hole, square in square, etc.

Think about what they can do, rather than what you want them to be able to do. If that makes sense.

- there are a lot more simple games about for download than complex ones.

Señor member
    Puzzles are always a good idea for kids that age, they'd be pretty easy to do as well, and of course it'd be really easy to change/update graphics etc.

Hangman games can be changed into simple word games/spelling games and naturally you won't need to call it hangman or use that sort of graphic.

Maybe something multiple choice but along the lines of hangman, you'd be able to use pretty much the same game engine but change the design to suit your needs.

Age group is probably about 9-12. The actual site is brilliant and requires the user to really explore the environment and discover hidden roll-overs etc. For that reason, i would think that a game involving the shapes etc., may be a bit too simple for them. However i agree its important to give them something that they can do as a game which only a select few can complete is useless. At the same time its important to challenge them! Catch 22!

Señor member
    9-12 yrs old! I thought we talking 4-6! I'll have a rethink as this is a much older audience than I thought!

I think that sort of age group these days are pretty unshockable so a lot of games would be fine for them. I mean a lot of FK members are 12-15 yrs old so I'm sure this one could develop nicely. Where's capty when you need him.....

I was thinking somewhat younger too...

even so I know what you mean about violence. Not so much for the kids sake as the adults - being P.C. is a 100% must when it comes to designing for schools, methinks.

Can you post the address of the site, or is it internal?

Sorry! its still being designed by one of the other designers and hasnt been posted yet as its not due until the end of the summer hols. Shall def post site address when its launched as its really cool use of Flash.

The age group will include the younger age group too but i would imagine that the majority of users for the game will be 9-12 year olds.