A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what has web design come to???

well it's 4:04 am and i'm just working on an HTML site. i decided to take a break and check out some of the sites of some local design companies in southern alberta (that's canada). it blows my mind away that these companies actually get work. 90% of the design sites i visited are absolutly terrible. it looks like some chump who picked up HTML for dummies decided to start a company and call themselves a web designer. and they have the nerve to call themselves professionals and charge $250.00 for a "professionally designed page". what are people thinking when they hire these people. these guys are designing sites with frames and not even hiding the scrolling and using colors like they are going out of style. i'm not saying that i'm better than these people but you wonder why the web is growing at such an intense pace. it's all this useless crap and then people who hire these designers say that it is not worth being on the net because they are getting no "hits". just wanted to rant i guess.

i guess anybody can call themselves a "designer". just drives me crazy.

sorry for the long post just needed to get that out.

Señor member
    it's the same everywhere (UK included) you look on places like scoot or yell for "web designer" and the links are scary! I like the fact that a lot of the companies are not even owners of a domain, the sites are geocites or similar

Former Employee of Satan Napalm's Avatar
    That's OK - everybody must start somewere. What bugs me is clients going to "design studios" and then giving us graphics that no browser known to man can implement, as well as having to redo all in anycase - because they are just morons.

the people wont be around for long if they can't get clients.

As far as I know, we have only one good webdesignagency. They're at http://www.netcast.nl .

They dont even have a lto of clients, while some of the worst studios have over 20 clients!! That's what I cant stand.

Originally posted by UKFlash
    the people wont be around for long if they can't get clients.
    that's the thing these guys are getting clients and designing cheap a$$ sites. i understand people are looking for value but how do you compete. i've been approached 2 do a couple sites and people are only willing to spend $150.00 and my response is sorry i can't do it. i take to much pride in my work to attach my name to a crappy design. people you know what design will see it and just think less of my work.

i guess this is where these supposed design companys come into play. i guess i've answered my own question in a way.

Originally posted by roopi
    well it's 4:04 am and i'm just working on an HTML site. i decided to take a break and check out some of the sites of some local design companies in southern alberta (that's canada). it blows my mind away that these companies actually get work. 90% of the design sites i visited are absolutly terrible.
    i was looking for website design in Leicester (my hometown) and stumbled across this http://www.leicester.co.uk complete pants, look at their portfolio section too

what the client wants and is prepared to pay for, the client gets. If they want a cheap ass web presecence thats fine. DESIGNation is taking so long because i want it to be good. Perhaps when you're making a pitch you could "educate" the client a little over what constitutes good and bad design. This game is not as easy as some people think.

what the client wants and is prepared to pay for, the client gets. If they want a cheap ass web presecence thats fine. DESIGNation is taking so long because i want it to be good. Perhaps when you're making a pitch you could "educate" the client a little over what constitutes good and bad design. This game is not as easy as some people think.
    And DESIGnation is a beauty.

yay! cheap plug! in fact, i'm making DGN open-source. So if neone has some components that they feel can fit into this, code them, and then email them to me at dnmedia@hotmail.com.

The site is at http://www22.brinkster.com/dgn02/index.html

Hey UKFlash Great site man... 1 suggestion change the font on the HIT FROM THE WEB... Its way to small the text reading "Paramount wants to halt reviews before opening -- making better movies not considered"

And yeah some of those sites are quit crappy if you ask me... Sad that someone who uses geocities page builder calls them self a designer

Originally posted by wouter999
    And DESIGnation is a beauty.
    Yeah its PURDY!(spelling check: Pretty) I love it!

Flashkits Non-Flasher
    Originally posted by snoop_doug
    Originally posted by roopi
    well it's 4:04 am and i'm just working on an HTML site. i decided to take a break and check out some of the sites of some local design companies in southern alberta (that's canada). it blows my mind away that these companies actually get work. 90% of the design sites i visited are absolutly terrible.
    i was looking for website design in Leicester (my hometown) and stumbled across this http://www.leicester.co.uk complete pants, look at their portfolio section too

OMG, thats horrid. They need to be shot. Wonder what they charge for that crap!?. None of the pictures even work!

haha wow thats a good one. I'm not saying i'm good at web design, its just a hobby(and a way to make a little(and i stress LITTLE) money on the side, but c'mon that page is just downright awful

yay! cheap plug! in fact, i'm making DGN open-source. So if neone has some components that they feel can fit into this, code them, and then email them to me at dnmedia@hotmail.com.

The site is at http://www22.brinkster.com/dgn02/index.html
    it looks coo... i like the slashed lines.. that seems to be the new thing.. i would suggest talkin off the alt tag things on the pictures cuz they cover up your blue box that pops up.. i hope you understand what im talkin abot ~! peace.. it looks great

Originally posted by Juztin180
    OMG, thats horrid. They need to be shot. Wonder what they charge for that crap!?. None of the pictures even work!

haha wow thats a good one. I'm not saying i'm good at web design, its just a hobby(and a way to make a little(and i stress LITTLE) money on the side, but c'mon that page is just downright awful [/B]
    "Leicester web design was set up to create, promote and maintain websites for voluntary organisations and small businesses"
    At those prices!!
    What voluntary organisation could afford that?!

I know of 16 year olds that could do better than that, for free.
    HI RDD, I know your watching

Well Roopi, the problem is that people whant to make money no matter what and fast. It has taken me 1 month to design half of the site i am planning and i am going over and over again making alterations if i don't like something! Have a look at http://tpexperimentdesign.cjb.net and click on the ns link and use the Flash 5 model. This job took me a month (working on weekends) and i will agree with you that there is a lot of crap out there, but as long that there are people paying for that crap you can't do anything about it!!!

blah!

Anyone with a computer can create webpages nowadays and it makes it harder for the decent designers to get clients..

that leicester web site though.. MAN! three pages for 545 pounds! that is appaulling!! especially if their pitch is for voluteer organisations!

okay.. compare their site...
    to my first official web design thing... http://www.isysusa.com

And that was when I did not know what I was doing....

I am not saying I am a brilliant designer... a lot of the time I make mistakes... stuff things up...

but at least I know design when I see it...

okay.. I'll stop raving now..

FK Robot Wrangler

Re: blah!

Originally posted by TianaKaeSha
    Anyone with a computer can create webpages nowadays and it makes it harder for the decent designers to get clients..

that leicester web site though.. MAN! three pages for 545 pounds! that is appaulling!! especially if their pitch is for voluteer organisations!

okay.. compare their site...
    to my first official web design thing... http://www.isysusa.com

And that was when I did not know what I was doing....

I am not saying I am a brilliant designer... a lot of the time I make mistakes... stuff things up...

but at least I know design when I see it...

okay.. I'll stop raving now..
    pretty nice first site. if you coded a search box, you're light years ahead of that liecester site.

FK Official Postman
    About designatoin, one spelling error that i found:

It si like your front door. From here, you can reach anywhere within this site within a couple of clicks

Re: Re: blah!

Originally posted by jaredigital

pretty nice first site. if you coded a search box, you're light years ahead of that liecester site. [/B]
    that is what we do here... search stuff... the search box is actually part of the software they develop here... so I cannot really clame fame to doing the code for that..

but the rest of the site is mine...