A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Whoever uses NetworkSolutions.com, view this

ok, heres the scoop I registered a domain name and e-mail address at NetworkSolutions.com for $60.00 a year....Now, DO I HAVE TO PAY TO ACTUALLY GET MY SITE UP AND RUNNING????...I know HTML and Flash and all that hibbity juibby swibbity, why do I need to pay for an easy to use web page maker, i want to do mine myself, do I have still pay an additional fee?????

-Brent

Anything. Anytime. Anywhere. aliensynergy's Avatar
    did you pay for hosting with NS?

I registered my domains through NS, they are expensive for us Aussies, cost me $70 USD for 2 years with NS, but with an Aussie host, it costs me $40 AUD for 2 years..MUCH better considering that $70USD is like $140AUD..
    but anyway, you shouldn't have to use their homepage editor, just try to login into NS via ftp if you are hosting with them...

unless you don't have a host at all?
    the domain name just points to an IP, you don't get webspace with it (I didn't with NS anyway) you need a place to up your website...

well can i use geocities?.....and if i do, how do I change it to where thats my host?

Anything. Anytime. Anywhere. aliensynergy's Avatar
    no, I am pretty positive you can't direct a domain name to GeoCities...because you need an IP for the domain to point to...and you can't use the free webspace you get with your isp either...same reason.

You need a host that provides you with an IP...

there are a few free hosts, that you can use a domain with, but as far as I know they all have banners...
    I have used http://www.hypermart.net before, they are okay but the banners suck ass something bad...

Try a search in Google for free hosting, but just remember to make sure they provide you with an IP, so your domain can point to it...

And to configure your domain to point to a new host/IP...You need all the details from your new host, i.e Primary Server Hostname, Primary Server Netaddress, Secondary Server Hostname and Secondary Server Netaddress etc. then go to the NS site, and go into 'make changes' and follow the instructions from there...

Its a bit tricky the first time you set up a domain, but once you've done it, its not so difficult...

Goodluck,
    -Nick