A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Simple, clean type - the Secret?

Hi
    i need to have clean, non-anti-aliased (aliased) type, but am having some issues.
    It cannot, obviously, depend on what the user has on their machine - as with anything on the web.
    Thus, I choose "Dynamic Text" and "Embed Fonts" for the text field. And if I choose "Standard" or one of the other great miniml fonts (on x/y whole number coords) I'm still getting it anti-aliased or not showing up at all or showing up as <p align="left"> for some weird reason.
    Please refer to:
    http://www.didymus.com -- Resume is the only one "working" right now.
    Any thoughts?
    thanks

Smile Brothers unite!

Brotha, I'm having the same problem. I guess I'm just replying to let you know you aren't alone and hoping that someone else will reply to our problem. Keep hope alive. If I figure it out I will let you know asap. I hope you will do the same.
    PEACE

Clean type - Here's what I understand

You want clean type - you use a text-field set to Dynamic text. You're relying on whether the viewer has the font on their machine: bad idea. So, you need to embed the font in the swf. However, if you choose Embed Fonts, it includes the font in the swf but gives it anti-aliasing: goodbye clean type.

If you choose Static Text and make it "Device Font" it'll give the viewer whatever they have on their machine that is closest to the font you've assigned it in Flash. If you had chosen Hooge or Standard at 8 or 6 pt. in this scenario and the viewer does not have either of those installed, they get arial (PC) or helvetica (Mac) at 8 or 6 pt, which is too small for those faces.

Am I right? How does everyone do it, short of importing them as graphics? Any luck ssoulek?

At this point I'd appreciate anything - including a "No, it's not possible." Thanks

your options:

1. use a gif: it doesn't increase file size most of the time, but is not practical for text that needs to be updated often.

2. use system fonts: the ones that begin with _. If the computer viewing the SWF doesn't have one of these fonts the comp will find the closest match. Not a bad deal.

3. use miniml fonts: I'm not sure why you are having trouble...are you following all the instructions in the readme file? The things you have to remember are keep x and y coordinates as whole numbers (i.e. 3 not 3.4). Also, make the font size multiples of 8. Everything should be peachy...dunno why you're having troubles.

4. Make your movie low quality: if nothing else in the movie is being compromised this is a very nice option. The movie laods faster and your text is a as crispy as can be.

5. Use dynamic text: This option works but only if the viewer has the font. If they don't, the default font will be displayed. Sounds crappy, but if you think about it it's the same deal you're getting with html, right? So maybe if your using a fairly common font like verdana it's not that bad, but if you're using some crazy font then forget it.

so there, I think those are your options. If you need me to elaborate on one just say the word.

resolved conspiracy theory

Thapgood-
    Somethings not right here. I believe the entire Flash community is conspiring against us in order to drive us mad. This font thing isn't as difficult as it is presenting itself to be right now. I have used fonts such as eurostyle on previous sites without doing anything special to the type and it works fine. The answer is near. I can feel it. The gif thing is lame. That is a complete last resort if you ask me and I ain't givin up. The truth is apon us.

I'm having the same problem also except that I cannot use text fields. The reason is because i need to use the text fields as buttons and for some reason flash won't let them function as buttons if they are in text field format. I'm not sure if I am wrong about this, if so tell me.

Also is making gifs for text buttons better than using the text in flash? I know the gifs do add to the weight of the movie but is it worth it?

(by the way, I have only Flash 4)
    Thanx

gifs usually won't add too much weight to the movie, in some cases the file size is smaller. Don't ask me why.

Just use _serif or _sans. Or go to http://www.miniml.com

Originally posted by squink
    5. Use dynamic text: This option works but only if the viewer has the font. If they don't, the default font will be displayed. Sounds crappy, but if you think about it it's the same deal you're getting with html, right? So maybe if your using a fairly common font like verdana it's not that bad, but if you're using some crazy font then forget it.
    I'm using a project file and am not overly concerned with file size. However, I am using small point size (around 11) and don't want the font anti-alias (i.e., embedded). The cleanest font I could find at this size is verdana (which is a good choice anywho). But I don't have much extra room in my text field so I'm somewhat concerned that if a viewer uses a default font the text might not fit in the text area.

I was reading on the Macromedia web site that "Dynamic and Input text fields are, by default, not embedded (and, therefore, do not anti-alias), unless one or more of the Embed fonts options are selected."

I take it there's no way to embed a font and NOT have it anti-alias?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by englund
    [B]
    Originally posted by squink
    you said it. At least for verdana.

Originally posted by englund
    Well this if not what, should make it to the Flash 6 list?! Do you agree? Squink, you who's moderator and all, you who've got the power of powers, fix this for us usual mortals. Please!

*sigh*
    i'm tempted to just sod it and gif my text. if you want it to look nice on your screen then you'll just have to wait!
    i got it looking nice on my pc but then on my mac it was anti'd again! frustration!

Originally posted by julianthomas
    *sigh*
    i'm tempted to just sod it and gif my text. if you want it to look nice on your screen then you'll just have to wait!
    i got it looking nice on my pc but then on my mac it was anti'd again! frustration!
    Try the fonts at http://www.miniml.com. Unfortunately you can only display the fonts at 8pt (or multiples of). The Standard font is nice and if you need a larger font try Natzke. Not a huge choice but when you get down that small I'm just happy to have it clear.

Heaven is made
    of 1's and 0's

Better Late than Never

Okay - I am trying to make sense of all this. Basically - I have downloaded the fonts from the site suggested.

But - I am running Flash 4 only. I am not too sure what all this stuff is about dynamic text boxes and embedding. Right now I am using the text tool then exporting it as a SWF file.

Am I COMPLETELY missing the boat?? Can anyone help me out on this one and give me a pointer for some nice, clear text??

Seems I've confused some people.

If you are choosing to use the fonts from miniml.com, no dynamic text boxes are required. those are 2 seperate methods. All you need to do for miniml fonts is:

1. make sure the font size is a multiple of 8
    2. Open the info panel for the text and make sure the x_ and y_ coordinates are WHOLE numbers. i.e. 3, not 3.1

that's it! Nothing else, just normal text with those two conditions (and have the apprpopriate font selected, of course.)

hope that clears things up!

Heaven is made
    of 1's and 0's

Ok.. but..

So - but lets say I wanted to use arial.. or verdana..
    What is a dynamic text box..

Is it in Flash 4?

Thanks..

Thumbs down font nightmare

folks,
    I've been having this problem 4 a while, and I've taken all your comments on board, it seems like there is no hard and fast answer, but what I do know is that there is a site called atomicmedia.com which supply small fonts, u gotta pay 4 them, but so far they have proved successful. perhaps they are just the same idea as miniml, I dunno!!

Perhaps its like the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow!! lol

eyenovation,

If you wish to use arial or other non-miniml fonts, using dynamic text in flash 4is simple. Just click that box that looks like ab| on the toolbar to the left that apears when u have the text tool selected. But this method only works if the user has the font on their computer. If you use arial and a viewer doesn't have arial, it would appear as the default font for them.

My suggestion is just use _sans or _serif. Easiest method and is pretty reliable.