A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: defrag de-registers Swish; new key won't generate

OK, I know it's been reported in another thread, but I think it should have its own thread.

I defragged just to see, and yes, we have no Swish-ananas.

Figured I could just generate a new license and use DaveDiamond's suggestion to keep Mr Norton from moving the file.

NOOOO. Instead of my new site-key, I get a message that

"All Swish 2 licences for your account have had a key generated within the last 7 days
    Or no Swish 2 licences are recorded for your account"

Houston, do we have a work-around?

So when will this nightmare be over, and when can we all go play on the Big Swish Candy Mountain?

Originally posted by David Knoebel
    OK, I know it's been reported in another thread, but I think it should have its own thread.

I defragged just to see, and yes, we have no Swish-ananas.

Figured I could just generate a new license and use DaveDiamond's suggestion to keep Mr Norton from moving the file.

NOOOO. Instead of my new site-key, I get a message that

"All Swish 2 licences for your account have had a key generated within the last 7 days
    Or no Swish 2 licences are recorded for your account"

Houston, do we have a work-around?

So when will this nightmare be over, and when can we all go play on the Big Swish Candy Mountain?

I missed the other thread. Was the solution as per the Help file Purchasing and Licensing | FAQ i.e.

Error CK-15 when starting SWiSH.
    The message "error CK-15" is probably due to the application 'Norton Utilities Speed Disk' that must have recently defragmented the hard disk. A defragmentation application moves the files on the hard disk and thus, moves the hidden files used by the protection system. To avoid this problem change the Norton Speed Disk configuration as follows:
    · open Norton Speed Disk
    · choose File | Option | Customize | Unmovable files
    · specify that the files *.ent *.key *.rst cannot be moved
    · choose File | Option | Optimization | Save in order to save the new settings.

Hugh
    SWiSH Support

Defrag Settings

I'm fantatical about defrag, I do it several times a day, every day.

I have no problems.

I have defrag set *not* to rearragnge things so programs start faster...in other words I just have it put all of the data back into place where it belongs.

I don't get all of these problems.

I swear I have the poopiest 'puter of all (Compaq 5304 - CrrixII processor - 8 GIG HD - 192 MB SDRAM - 4MB of that alloicated to the video card)

I have no problems and I run Photoshop6, at least one browser, an html editor, a text editor ans Swish all together.

Two things I do though:
    I am fanataical about deleting temp files, and defrag.

I don't have a whole bunch of unecessary crap running.

All that runs when no proggys are running is:
    Explorer
    Rundll
    SysTray
    Em_exec (needed for my optical mouse)
    Stimon (needed for my scanner)

That's it! And despite having a poopy machine things run well for me.

Yep, that is EXACTLY what happened to me. I am now sitting on a "paid for" but unusable Swish 2.
    (I do not use Norton)

See thread- http://board.flashkit.com/board/show...hreadid=184183

Good Point Sapphire ... I think that is one of the biggest problems people are having with v2 crashing ... From the screenshots I've seen ... A lot of people have ICQ, AOL AIM, Outlook express, Winamp, Virus Utilities, etc. etc open in the Sys Tray while trying to run an Internet browser, Paint programs, and Swish 2 ... That is a HUGE load on the resources ... That will easily drop your resources down below 20% ... The only thing running in my Sys Tray is Vol Control (which I haven't figured out how to remove yet), My Opti-Mouse, and my ATI Video Controls ... Nothing else ... I boot up at 91% resources free, and rarely drop below 80% ...

Do a Google search for MSCONFIG, and read up on how to remove certain programs from Boot-up ... It will increase your sys. resources tremendously ...

I have yet to have a major problem with Swish 2.0 ... There is the occasional crash, but you just have to learn to SAVE your work frequently -- that goes for ANY work-in-progress.

Peaces

A lot of progrmas automatically and uneccisarily place programs in startup.

One *is* AIM...I told mine not to start when Windows starts;

Accessories >>>>System Tools>>>>System Information>>>>Tools>>>>System Configuration Utility>>>>>Startup

My guess is that half the stuff there is checked and it doesn't need to be.

I *never* go below 80% either, and this like I said is a poopy machine.

Also...as far as disk space...both ICQ, AIM, and IE all place temp files in thier folders.

I clear them all out after use as well.

I have'nt had a single problem or crash & I've been trying!
    I did some serious copy/paste tests in the timeline & I was 2 copy/pastes ahead of what the timeline was showing (I'm Fast!) & it worked like a charm!
    v1.5 would of illegal actioned or blue screened me for sure!

Also, does'nt telling your defrag to leave things where they are totally contradict what defrag is all about & supposed to do?
    Which is to rearrange the clusters on your drive & delete the bad & empty ones!

SWiSH sucks up about 12+% of my resources on launch & ICQ sucks up about 8% ...not sure about AIM?
    I avoid anything AOL/TimeWarner like the plague!

cheers...ziggy

SWiSH Forum
    FlaX FX Forum

As a frequent user of Norton Speed disk, thanks Hugh for the advice.

BTW I also use a little proggie called memturbo2 which defrags my RAM every 10 minutes. I find it very useful.
    http://www.memturbo.com/

Sorry, but I think the point is being missed here.
    What's running at start up and resources have nothing to do with Swish de-registering itself when you defrag.
    I'm not having "crash" problems.
    The program changed its "site number" after I defragged and now it's totaly useless! If this hasn't happened to you, consider yourself lucky.
    I can't open it. It says "not authorized". I can't regenerate a new key. "No license issued" (because of the new site key) It's paid for. I have the receipt. I won't pay for it again.
    I have been using pc's for 2 years and I have never had a program de-register itself (and that includes Swish 1.5.1)
    until now.

If I sound a little miffed, it's because I am.

Update- Hugh has offered to help me. Hopefully this will get solved today.

Cadence- Right click on your speaker icon in the start up bar and click on "adjust audio properties". Then uncheck
    "show volume control in taskbar". Ok.

[Edited by Ladyyyb on 08-03-2001 at 08:08 AM]

defragged, deregistered, dekeyed

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ladyyyb
    What's running at start up and resources have nothing to do with Swish de-registering itself when you defrag.

Yup, that's the point. And then there's the key problem...

Re: defragged, deregistered, dekeyed

[QUOTE]Originally posted by David Knoebel
    Originally posted by Ladyyyb

Yup, that's the point. And then there's the key problem...
    Sorry David. I wasn't referring to your post. Some of the others got OT from the original post, and the problem is still not solved here. How about you?

If a defrag does de-register your SWISH, you can use this page:

http://support.swishzone.com/key_pickup20.asp

to generate a new Site Key.

Cheers, David

Originally posted by David Michie

Cheers, David
    Would that it were so.

The message returned by the above URL is as follows:

"Hello

All Swish 2 licences for your account have had a key generated within the last 7 days
    Or no Swish 2 licences are recorded for your account

thankyou"

You're welcome.

Originally posted by David Michie

Cheers, David

Unfortunately what David Knoebel posted is true.
    It will not issue another key.

Hugh did send me a new key when I supplied my information to him at Support. My problem is solved for now.

Great to hear it Ladyyyb

Ive been watching this and wondering if they were going to help you guys/gals or not. It was rather embarresing to see how they werent even responding to you. I know if it were me I would not have been as patient as you have both been. I hope the key continues working for you. Makes me kinda scared to defrag though

~Jer~

Thanks Jerry. I realize that the Swish support team is swamped right now. I'm happy that Hugh was available to help. Btw, I'm kind of afraid to defrag again now too.
    I'll make sure it's set like they suggested.
    Another odd thing- have you tried to move your license to another machine? I have 2 pc's and after this happened I thought it might be a good idea to back it up on the second machine. I dl'ed a trial copy and tried to follow the instructions for moving with a floppy, but the "transfer in" & "transfer out" tabs aren't highlighted on the machines they way the instructions say they should be. They seem backwards, and I even printed out the instructions to make sure I was doing it correctly.
    I'll leave that for later then. I don't want to mess up my one running Swish 2 program.

Btw, love your footer.

All was running fine in Win2K until today when I booted into Win98 and tried to register the program (I did this because it said it was running in trial mode). Under Win98 it thought I was running a trial version so I entered the serial number. I then got the message back saying that "no more keys for this serial number are available. Add more keys for this customer using CasperDB.exe". I didn't reinstall it in Win98 after running fine in Win2K. I then booted back to Win2K and now it thinks I'm in trial mode! I tried the serial number again and same thing. Any thoughts or do you need more information? Is there no workaround for registering more than once a week as now I'm screwed.

Thanks again for the wonderful program and I hope these reg issues can be resolved.

PS. Now it won't even let me run it past the registration window as 'Resume Program Execution' grayed out (in BOTH OSs) and I've got work to do. Uh-oh.

PPS Going to http://support.swishzone.com/key_pickup20.asp resulted in the following email

Hello

All Swish 2 licences for your account have had a key generated within the last 7 days

Or no Swish 2 licences are recorded for your account

thankyou

SWiSH Forum
    FlaX FX Forum

In Norton Speed Disk....

Do this

goto the unmovable tab, and click on the add wild card button

then type this
    \**\ent
    press enter
    go again

\**\key

again

\**\rst

then run speed disk, if you must!

The inability to defrag because of a program's registration technique is a BUG in the program, a bad one. In the literally hundreds of programs from commercial to freeware I have, I have never had a problem with defragging, whether Norton or MicroSoft's defraggers, including the operating system defrags after extensive updates. Defragging is a fundamental and necessary task on computers. This needs to be fixed. A good defrag goes a long way towards increasing speed and minimizing resource loading. It is so fundamental, I would never have dreamed defragging would hose up a registration.

Originally posted by facmanboss
    The inability to defrag because of a program's registration technique is a BUG in the program, a bad one. In the literally hundreds of programs from commercial to freeware I have, I have never had a problem with defragging, whether Norton or MicroSoft's defraggers, including the operating system defrags after extensive updates. Defragging is a fundamental and necessary task on computers. This needs to be fixed. A good defrag goes a long way towards increasing speed and minimizing resource loading. It is so fundamental, I would never have dreamed defragging would hose up a registration.
    I would never have dreamed it either until it happened to me. I do hope they get it fixed after all the registration woes die down.