A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: POLL: Swish 2.0 Forum Needed? YES/NO?

Godfather of SWiSH
    Hi all I know that this has been covered before but, I think its time to bring it up again. We need to get Flash Kit to get us a Swish 2.0 Forum. (I know this is not hard to do I have made forums in VB before, a few clicks some text and your done ) Flash has 2 forums one for 4 and 5 Action scripting.......
    The time to seperate Swish 1.5X and 2.0 is now. When I go to read the post on people needing help I don't know if its Swish 1.5 or 2 that they need help with....this makes a huge difference in some things.

SO this is a poll to see how many of you would want a Swish 2.0 Forum set up? Please share your views

L8R
    [Edited by JazzMan_4_Jesus on 08-03-2001 at 08:49 AM]

New Yorker
    Jazz What's Up,
    If they won't get a different forum, I do think, when people post their problems at least post which version it's for, shouldn't be 2 hard, 2 for 2 and 1.52 or whatever, so people aren't reading every post with no answers, but should there be a V2 forum, be honest I don't think enough people know enough about it to really help that much, I do believe we're all newbees again in some form or another, as a matter of fact i may resign so my posts start out at 1 again. So in effect I think all 2 related questions should be e-mail directly to those in charge of the program, best place to get answers and they won't have to go through every thread to give help.
    D

UNified
    J4J, this IS a Swish 2 forum, and if it aint it soon will be. I think decisions on forum structure would revolve around moderators and Flashkit. Any one using 1.5 will still get all the help they need...I suggest a count of the topics in about 3 weeks time when its settled may give a better indication.
    My vote for now is..NO

Originally posted by jofta
    J4J, this IS a Swish 2 forum, and if it aint it soon will be. I think decisions on forum structure would revolve around moderators and Flashkit. Any one using 1.5 will still get all the help they need...I suggest a count of the topics in about 3 weeks time when its settled may give a better indication.
    My vote for now is..NO
    I would agree, or at least urge holding off until the upgrade issues subside and there is some idea about just how many 1.5x questions there will be. It might be useful to have two "first" messages, one clearly for 2 and the other clearly for 1.5x.

Cheers,

Flick

Godfather of SWiSH
    Dion! NOt much just chill'in with SWISH 2!

I agree with you to a point...

1. resigning will do nothing but drop your post count to one LOL (what will that accomplish)

2. you right we don't know everything but I guarantee that we can all help one another and work through each problem (just like the old days)

3. I see no reason why Flash Kit will not do this... There is relatively no work involved..shoot give me access to the CP and I will do it myself

4. emailing Swish support is good HOWEVER a crashed email server from thousands of questions is not LOL

Jofta / Wcolman yeah I see what you two see. At least mark post HELP 1.52 or HELP 2 somthing like that...SO what you are saying Jofta that this forum will be Swish 2 ok well it still may get rather confussing with 1.5x

L8R

[Edited by JazzMan_4_Jesus on 08-03-2001 at 09:07 AM]

I'm guessing that nearly everyone who is currently active on the forum has upgraded to 2.0 or will do so shortly. Considering that swishzone is no longer pushing 1.5x, there won't be any new 1.5 users asking questions. We may get a few new members who have 1.5 and are just starting to use the forum, but for the most part I'm pretty sure we'll be dealing with 2.0 questions.

Since many of the operations on the common features of 1.5 and 2.0 are so similar, may basic questions will have the same answer for both versions.

The people here are smart (most of them anyway) and should be able to pick out the 1.5 questions with relative ease.

So...no, I don't think we need a second forum right now. When swish introduces actionscripting in future versions, then there may be cause for another topic-specific forum.

New Yorker
    Jazz,
    Dropping to 1 will give me a new beginning a life with 2v, since i have not too many clues what to do with it. So if i post 50 questions a day you'll all say jus an annoying new bee/ but if i post my 50 a day as me, you'll all look to kill me, lol
    I just figure it's a new product so start out new, and Jofta has a point, most of this will turn into 2 forum, over the next couple of weeks, once the dust from the confusion settles, it'll be back on track, Monkey pants asked a long time ago when 1.51 upgraded to 1.52, please include which your question is for in your post, Very simple, so if you know the answers you go in if not you move to the next, And i think that's what i'll do, no label no enter. It's like everyone posting "look here" that's why the subject is there to define the subject matter.
    D

Originally posted by dion747
    Jazz,
    Monkey pants asked a long time ago when 1.51 upgraded to 1.52, please include which your question is for in your post,
    D
    Must have been some other monkey who said this... there is no operating difference betwenn 1.51 and 1.52

Godfather of SWiSH
    LOL Monkey!

Ok I see ya'lls point I agree this forum will be going to a version 2.0 forum soon... I also agreee that they need to label them to say what version that it is due to the few 1.5er's. To a point monkey is right most things are similar beteen them. However preload of a pic is different (just as an example of course there are more )
    We should be able to tell the difference but some you just scratch your head and say to yourself hmm which version (at leat I do )...

Ok kewl well I am def. getting feedback and thats good

L8R

New Yorker
    MP,
    It might have been a different upgrade or whatever, but you suggested it and it makes sense, define what your post is about in the subject should not be so hard, it might have even be which browser or somethin to that effect that you wanted the posting to be clear
    D

Another forum would only empty the current one

soon this group will be full of 2.0 questions with occasional 1.51/2 questions. Just as soon as the current problems with registration are cleared up this group will settle down and flow its normal steady course.

~Jer~

Originally posted by JazzMan_4_Jesus
    SO this is a poll to see how many of you would want a Swish 2.0 Forum set up? Please share your views
    Let's see, there is a Flash 5.0 Actionscript forum, a Flash 4.0 Actionscript forum, a Newbies forum and a General Help forum.

There's also a Swish forum which handles 1.x, 2.0, beta testing, site checks, general questions, advanced topics like scripting, newbie questions, product (business related) support, and probably some other things I've missed. Nope I don't see a need for an additional forum. 8-)

At the least, versioning the forums (v1, v2, v3, etc) would make searching more effective in the future, after all, are we going to be stuck with a single forum, when we're up to version 5?.

bobwoodard

Your points are well taken, but I would have to point out that macromedia flash probably has a user base that is at least 100 times larger than swish and the price from flash 4 to flash 5 also much, much higher. My point is that there is still a huge user base for flash 4 therefore a need for a flash 4 board. I doubt that the few who are reluctant to upgrade to 2.0 at 15$ will be hard for the current board members to handle here on this forum.

If we make another group this one will be empty. So I just dont see the need.

~Jer~

Originally posted by Jerry T
    If we make another group this one will be empty. So I just dont see the need.
    I see what you're saying, but it wouldn't be empty, just lightly used. There would still be over 70k of useful messages. Other boards I've visited have depreceated forums as newer version come along and sure things calm down in the older forums, but that isn't a bad thing.

Sure, you might have someone wander through a v1.x forum and ask a few questions, but those shouldn't be too hard to pick up. Who knows, maybe v1.x could be come SWiSH lite, but without an upgrade path? v1.x -> v2 is such a jump in features and capabilities, I think v1.x could still be marketed to a different type of user than most of us.

From the usability standpoint of this forum, do you want search results in 2003 for this forum to be pulling threads from v1.x?

Bob

Whatever they decide is realy no matter to me. I do think they should wait at least a month though to actually see if there is a need.

Hey, taking this off topic just a bit. You like my new footer or the old one with the magnifying glass better? Just made this one and Im taking it out for a test drive.

~Jer~

FK's Fnortner
    How hard would it be for FK to edit Crazy Al's subject line of the 'Announcement/Welcome' thread at the top of the forum ... something that would be more informative? That (IMHO) should be the easiest way.

Godfather of SWiSH
    Well whatever that Flash Kit decides is fine with me (Like I have a choice LOL )

At the FlashStuff Forum we have a versi0n 1.5 and 2.0 forum and you are all welcome to come sign up and check it out (click the link in my footer )
    When me Delta and Jon set it up we felt that they needed their own forum

Thats all my point was. I am not trying to stir up any trouble I am glad that you all are giving your opinions and its great to hear all of them (even though I don't agree with some of them) *thinking to myself* did I type that out loud DOOOOHHHHH!

L8R

Just like Jazzy to start something then leave

Were all pissed and looking for someone to string up. LOL.

You didnt start anything that didnt need to be brought up................again We'll see what happens. Like our opinions realy matter. hahahahahahahahah

Hey Jazzy tell me if you like my new footer or the old one better. I just made it this morning and need some feedback.

~Jer~

no!

you dont see them making a flash 4/5/6 forum, why should this be any different

if there was 2 boards then i would be posting the same thing twice... not a good idea!

if people want help with 1.52 then they will ask, and we will answer - most of us can anser all the questions without opening the damn program up

cs

Originally posted by Jerry T
    Hey, taking this off topic just a bit. You like my new footer or the old one with the magnifying glass better?
    Actually, I kinda like the magnifying glass better. 8-)