dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: MORE DESIGN-WHEATUS IMAGE

for you are interested in my almost daily design updates,I have designed a wheatus image (The Band) for an up and coming wheatus site I am designing.
    I am really proud of this one,TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK!!
    find it at:

http://discotekdesign.co.uk.nstempin...s/wheatBG.html

THAN-KU!

tone down the colours to get a better image. the srrows are kinda lost in the full colour glare..

If that's for a CD cover, hrmmmm... i dunno.

It's ok. It's nice and all, but i dunno, didn't you use those 45 degree angled scanline type things in your last one? I don't really like em. Their ok, but their covering up some of the band.

This is just a personal take of mine- I don't really like new media styled graphics on anything related to music. That's due to my being a musician, my love of music, and my passion for design and visual communication.

electronic music seems to be about the only genre where computer design/new media types of graphics work well.
    I just don't see a connection between that style of graphics and band oriented music. In addition, I pretty much never see that sort of style on record covers, and I'm very into record and cd cover art, used to go to the Virgin recordstore with a pen and paper writing down the names of bands with interesting artwork on their cd's. The graphics are sometimes a good indication of what the music is like. But honestly, if I saw graphics on a cd cover with arrows, or other such graphics, I'd think it was an electronic group.

This is not to say, though, that what you made is bad. I think the photo is very nice, and perhaps a more wide angle look to the photo without the overlaying graphics and arrows would be a bit more contemporary. Doesn't mean you have to do that though.

Another little thing: two band member's names are done in vertical text, two are done in horizontal text. I think it would be best for all 4 to be horizontal, so as to create some unity, and also becasue vertical text is very hard to read.

Good Luck, take care,

mg33

New site design and EXCLUSIVE fonts!!!!!!!

just uploaded today:
    http://discotekdesign.co.uk.nstempintl.com

The wheatus site is also online,Just click on the link on my homepage.I really want opinions on my new minimalist site design,as well as the fonts.

P.S.I only designed the flash and that image on the wheatus site,not the HTML.

THAN-KU

I wouldn't call that a minimalist design, I'd call it text and horizontal break lines. Sorry. I mean, it's got a minimal amount of material there, but it doesn't really have much to do with minimalism as a style and movement. Unless, of course, you're use of the word "minimalism" is to refer the very basic and simple nature of what you've done.

I have something that I say about minimalism, and that is, "I think calling anything with little substance "minimal" is an easy way out of having to explain why basically nothing was designed at all."

I'm not saying this directed towards you, I'm saying it becuase it's how I feel in general about it.

See, the word has two different meanings. The art form, which I've described, and which can be read about here and as a direction for creating something to be viewed on the Internet with the goal being adaptability to various screens and presentation formats, which can be read about here.

Maybe if you could explain exactly which path you're taking, it would help me out.

Take Care,

mg33

Large Member
    get the designs off the dudes' faces, lol.

Large Member
    Originally posted by mg33

electronic music seems to be about the only genre where computer design/new media types of graphics work well.
    I just don't see a connection between that style of graphics and band oriented music. In addition, I pretty much never see that sort of style on record covers, and I'm very into record and cd cover art, used to go to the Virgin recordstore with a pen and paper writing down the names of bands with interesting artwork on their cd's. The graphics are sometimes a good indication of what the music is like. But honestly, if I saw graphics on a cd cover with arrows, or other such graphics, I'd think it was an electronic group.

[/B]
    incubus is a band, and their latest album cover is in that style you're talking about. there's several others, but i can't think of them right now.

Well, that makes sense, becuase I don't bother with lame bands like Incubis.

mg33