dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Exec FS Command PC/MAC difference

I have a CD which plays autorun in both PCs and Macs. (I used Toast to create a dual platform CD).

Inside my movie I want a different projector file to load in front of my portfolio page. I do not want to simply load a swf into a level since it a fairly complex file and makes a lot of tell target calls which won't work within another movie without a lot of changes. (you can see it at http://riverfront.org )

On the PC side I can use the Exec FSCommand to startup an .exe file. This command obviously will not work on the Mac and an alert beep happens when you try.

What would be the best wat to detect PC or Mac and load its projector file?

You should have the option in toast to create a hybrid CD which basically makes two different volumes on the one CD. You select data for the mac version and different data for the PC version. If you put it in a mac the computer sees the mac version and stick it in a PC the comp sees the PC version. So you just make two different versions for both platforms.

Yeah that's kind of what I wanted to avoid. I did not want to always have to make different files. Hopefully there is an actionscript way to differentiate. The CD is already a Hybrid CD but up until now I have not had to do anytihg differently except for PUBLISH the exe and mac projector files.

If you are loading it from an HTML page you could direct the browser to a different page depending on the platform using javascript, which then opens the right file. I had a quick look and found a script that can do that, at: http://javascript.internet.com/user-...form-page.html

Well thanks for the help rockmeister. But really the solution I guess I was looking for was to be able to execute a diffrent FS command depending on what platform you were on. Not actually creating a different file for the PC or Mac with different instruction sets.

The hybird CD has worked really well for me, but until now I have never run into a problem where I needed to keep different files for each platform.

To simply put in case someone else has a soluion.

I have one projector file (actually one .exe and one MAC projector) which is the basis for my DEMO CD.

This pojector files loads many other .swf into other levels and targets and works greats.

The problem is that some portfolio examples I would like to open up out side of this main projector. I can not embed them becsaue of their scripting as it stands now. If its on a PC it should open a .exe onCLick and if on a MAC it should open the MAC projector file.