A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: eLance.com

Heaven is made
    of 1's and 0's

eLance.com

http://www.elance.com

I came across this website and was wondering if any of you out there have used this service and the kind of results you have found with it.

Perhaps you can reccomend it, or not.
    Thanks

Arrow

From my experience with eLance..... it sucks! It would be great if the numbers were in your favor. What I mean is just this.... when you view the number of Flash Designers using eLance Vs. the number of Flash Designers getting jobs off of eLance it is very depressing.

Check out this link to see what I mean.

http://www.elance.com/c/fp/main/FpMa...s=9869&page=29

You'll notice that around page 29 the profit goes to Zero for the rest of eLance designers.

Just my two cents.
    Kirk

The Minister of No Crap

I used to use it a lot. It was back when I was first starting out. Now you have to pay money to get a pretty seal and stuff like that. It sucks when things were free and now they aren't.

Anyway, I'm sure you can be successful at it, but you have to stay on top of it... constantly! Or else, you will get no where.

-scott
    http://www.scottmanning.com

Heaven is made
    of 1's and 0's
    Scott Manning - a moderator??
    Cool. Congrats..

The Minister of No Crap

Originally posted by Eyenovation
    Scott Manning - a moderator??
    Cool. Congrats..
    Thanks, man.

-scott

Yeah Elance does seem a little pricy. I think it's like 140$ to sign up - Then they take 10% of all transactions. I guess that might be worth it to some but that seems almost worse then paying taxes.

Heaven is made
    of 1's and 0's
    $140 and 10% - My gosh..
    I could see one.. but both??
    EGAD.

I also came across elance a while ago and personally I thought it was a great idea as i'd been trawling the net for this type of thing and it seemed by far the best about.

As a result I registered etc and then I realised that you would have to devote a hell a lot of your time just monitoring bids etc so much so that you would probably get no work done. Then what do they do decided to charge you for the privelage.

Now while I was registered with them I took a look around the forums and everyone was up in arms at the prospect of the introduction of a charge and just left like myself.

Basically what i'm saying is i'd personally stay clear.

The message "things that initially seem to good to be true usually are just that"

Mixter out

I was also looking at Elance.com. I wouldn't sign up, I don't thinkit'd be worth it. Does anyone have any other sites silimar to ELance but much better? :-)

Someone outta make a site like that except don't charge...just seel advertising space on the site.

Originally posted by SicChild
    I was also looking at Elance.com. I wouldn't sign up, I don't thinkit'd be worth it. Does anyone have any other sites silimar to ELance but much better? :-)

Someone outta make a site like that except don't charge...just seel advertising space on the site.
    I checked it out too but it seems like too much money up front and per month. Does anyone know of any other sites like this that don't charge as much?

Heaven is made
    of 1's and 0's
    Yeah - I think those are DESPERATE web developers..
    EGAD.. poor guys..

Yeah, they are probably very desperate. That gives me some more ideas for the site I might wanna make if I can get enough support. I think registrations should be reviewed and every user must have their site and we make sure it's professional and all that. To weed out all the little 12 year olds that try to create flash websites using gradients and rectangle buttons. :\

Also, a way to ensure both parties get what they wanted.

The Minister of No Crap

Originally posted by CorpRate
    We expect to page between $50-$100 a page. I can't see how a 10 page site could cost $150 to make.
    "Will design 4 food."

-scott

Heaven is made
    of 1's and 0's
    Thats not very much food!

The problem I have with elance.

The problem I have with elance is mostly that competition has become so fierce. That it just destroys everything. I have yet to sign up, but every so often I'll check out and see what they have posted at the time.

From what I see, about 50% of the bids are coming from 3rd world countries and they work at hourly rates of 5$/hr. Some bids are so low for the what the project is asking for - that it's just ridiculous. Like 50$ for a complete e-commerce Flash site. Yes 50$. Something that would take me personally a week or more to put together. It's just really wack like that.

I would really like to see what type of product that you recieve from some of the really low bidders. I guess theirs high bidders as well - but who knows. It's all up in the air - I think that anyone using it is taking a gigantic gamble, no real product garantee - after the projects over and the money's in their pocket. Their gone. No trace no updates.

Ah anyways I've just been rambling on here for a while. I really don't think the service is that good though - if not terrible. But I have seen people that it works good for as well. If their was any group that it would work well for - it's graphic designers - with bascially no actionscript/ any other scripting involved. That way it's a one cut deal and after you give the product to the client it's over and out.

-ahh ok just had some of those thought's on my mind.

I have been using elance for about six weeks, I placed about 20 bids, and none were taken, They were less than I would normally charge a friend for work (to get feedback on the sys.), and still declined. My portfolio is not that bad... The problem is the fact that people post way low, like in the prev. posts. If they redid thier model somehow making it work a little better. I actually posted a project for people to bid on as well, I got 15 responces, most of them were cut and paste responces, and unpro. My point being if they had some sort of a "test" people could take to be certified and weed out some of the lees than prefessionals it would be better. The one thing it does have is some backing from larger co.'s and 10x's more listings than any others.... anyway just telling of my experiance, I hope it improves somthing similar would be nice.

Heaven is made
    of 1's and 0's

Re: The problem I have with elance.

Originally posted by snowdude
    Like 50$ for a complete e-commerce Flash site. Yes 50$. Something that would take me personally a week or more to put together. It's just really wack like that.
    That to me..., this is just silly..
    You get what you pay for in this world..

Why would anyone kill the market like that?

Elance is making us starve. At least Guru and Sitefly are telling buyers that low ball bids are a sign of weakness.

I have not used guru or sitefly, are thare many jobs to bid on?

Heaven is made
    of 1's and 0's
    Yeah - that is a good thing.. Cant have $50 e-commerce sites or $10 flash intros.

That just kills that market.