A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: actionscripting question and tongue kissing

Okay....when I have a whole list of action script....does the computer read them from top to bottom? In other words.... if I have at the top "tell target --some variable.....

and then at the bottom I have set variable=this

Will it do all those things simultaneously , or will it go through with the top commands first and then proceed down.????

This will be key for me to figure out.

Thanks.

it does it all at the same time, probably theres a difference, but probably in split seconds...maybe less
    need anymore help? drop me a line at goldntitan@yahoo.com i'll be glad to help

<AFAIK> Yes, it does run them top to bottom. Thus, if you place stop; prior to myVariable = 1, your movie will stop prior to assigning the variable it's desired value.
    [Edited by crehren on 08-04-2001 at 02:04 PM]

wait

Now I'm confused. Does it or doesn't it?

It's fairly important....because......if I want to command a variable to do something.....and then at the end of the code...I want to re set the variable to the current movie clip.............then I will need flash to read the stuff and go through with the actionscript from top to bottom.

You know?

Otherwise, when I command the variable to go to and play something, it will read the bottom script which tells it to reset the variable and perform the command on the wrong movie clip.

Do you follow?

Or am I talking out of my ass?

Don't listen to punker, he was probably just attracted by the french kissing

Actionscript, like all scripting / programming languages runs from top to bottom. It will not move on to the next statement untill it has finished the last.

Hope this clears up your confusion.

Punker - tell your momma I said thanks :-)

Originally posted by bobajobrob
    Don't listen to punker, he was probably just attracted by the french kissing

Actionscript, like all scripting / programming languages runs from top to bottom. It will not move on to the next statement untill it has finished the last.

Hope this clears up your confusion.

Punker - tell your momma I said thanks :-)
    just...shut up.... dont talk about me like that. i'm not a horny little kid looking for info on frenching.

PS. tell your WHOLE GENERATION i said thanks....and ur mom for the discount...... :P

Re: wait

Hi

This is a very important and advanced question. You should find some real book to get the answer. What I am going to say is just my impressions. It maybe wrong.

The script are executed from up to bottom. Execution must be completed before it goes to the next line. Some asynchronized commands are exceptions such as loadMovie and loadVariables. They just start to load.

Scripts execution are block by block. When you have gotoAndStop(3) in your script, the movie playhead will go to frame 3. However, the frame script on frame 3 will not be executed here to interfere your next script line. The execution continues to the next line scripts of present block.

Execution continues until all the script in present block are completed and the movie goes to frame 3 and the frame script of frame 3 be excuted now.

So, we wont worry about what frame script there will be when we have a line "mc.gotoAndStop(4)". Those frame scripts wont interfere the variables now we are working on untill the end of the scripts block.