A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Dynamically Update Sites - What does everyone use?

Hello,

Looking to get an idea of what people are doing to dynamically update their sites. That is, perhaps an interface for the clients to add/subtract info that is then posted to the site; like press releases, bios, content. Not necessarily in Flash but both Flash and HTML.

Programs? Programming Languages? WYSIWYG?

have you tried posting this in scripting and backend?
    looks like cgi or ssi to me

Moved from Boardroom.

I use Active Server Pages with a database backend (Access or SQL Server).

-mike

Hi there,

I am currently doing an e-shop for a client with php and a browser frontend to manage the products. I did three shops in the past where I was responsible for the overall design (small businesses that would not run their own webserver) - and all three are implemented using tcl/tk and postgresql as database in the bricks and mortar part of the business. The database is just replicated to the webserver as required, and to make life easier, the server scripts are written in tcl as well

Musicman

Thanks. I understand that you use PHP or ASP or even JSP to dynamically generate the data. However, what I am really wondering is if there is something that basically aids in the construction of it. Like, Dreamweaver makes HTML building VERY easy. Is Dreamweaver UltraDev an option? Are there other options available?

Sure, Dreamweaver Ultradev makes it easier to incorporate database-driven features into your web site, as does Visual Interdev (for ASP), but in either case, you'll still need some basic level knowledge of making a call to a database and what to do with the info that is returned to you.

If you're completely new to this kind of stuff, pick up the "for Dummies" book of your choice (ASP for Dummies, PHP for Dummies, Cold Fusion for Dummies, etc...) and skip right to the chapter on database access. I don't know if there's a Dreamweaver UltraDev for Dummies book, but that would have it as well.

I know that the latest version of Microsoft FrontPage incorporated database access, but that wouldn't be my first choice.

Another option for ASP would be a program called Drumbeat, that supposedly does everything visually as well, although I've never used it.

Hope this helps...

-mike

Lightbulb

Originally posted by MajorTom
    Hello,

Looking to get an idea of what people are doing to dynamically update their sites. That is, perhaps an interface for the clients to add/subtract info that is then posted to the site; like press releases, bios, content. Not necessarily in Flash but both Flash and HTML.

Programs? Programming Languages? WYSIWYG?

Option 1 (of course) is to do a Moonfruit, where the site *is* the editor. (http://www.moonfruit.com)

Option 2: Custom written backend system in cgi (perl, asp, php, whatever) with HTML forms (or flash forms if you prefer, and don't need to upload images). Updates your database, dbm files or text files depending on scale of project. Clients often like this as you can do a nice design job on it. I find programming the back end often takes longer than you think if you use HTML, as you need *sooo* much code to handle adding, editing, previewing and viewing, and passing the data back and forth between forms. If you can, use a flash interface, and have all the editing etc done in that. Separates design and code like nothing else :-)

Option 3: Visual Basic connecting to your database using ODBC. This is *very* easy to do. You could even code up forms in Access if you don't want or need VB stuff. You'll still have to have a preview/approval process if you want to check stuff before it goes live. This method means that you have a ODBC connection to your site's database. You'll probably want to put in a login screen where the client puts in the ODBC host/username/password rather than hardcoding them.

swfBB Developer
    ASP works well with Flash I find and thats what Im using to run my Flashforums at http://www.flashforums.com

I prefer PHP and mysql although ASP and access or ms SQL is also decent. Anyways that's about it.