A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Akira Manga re-release

Support Dark Horse Comics, and all they do for American translations of Japanese Manga. Just got this message from the Anime News Network.

This December Dark Horse Comics, in association with Kodansha Ltd. and Studio Proteus, will begin releasing Katsuhiro Otomo's stunning science-fiction masterpiece, Akira.

Dark Horse will be releasing Akira in it's original format of 6 350+ page black and white graphic novels. Akira was originally released in English comic book format by Marvel comics in the 80s, Dark Horse will be using Marvel's translation, however the sound effects will come from a different, europeen translation. Marvel had added color to it's version, however the Dark Horse release will be in black and white, same as the original Japanese Version. The Dark Horse version will also be released in the original graphic novel format. The six 350+ page (6-3/4" x 9-3/4") volumes are so large that many fans refered to them as "phone books". This is the first English language release of Akira in this format.

The first 364 page volume is expected to be released of December 13th at a suggested retail price of $24.95.

24.95?!?!?! does all the english version mangas cost this much?

WOW!!!!!! DREAM COME TRUE!!!!!!!!!

btw that's not that expenseive for a large volume.

coool. feiry im never gonna let you forget you stole my idea. you plundered it ruthlessly. ill post this mesage everywheere.

Beyond the Sea

oooo...yeah....

I'm gonna have to break open the vault and head to my local comic store...

start saving those pennies,
    Rich

I still can't get over the fact that Marvel originally added color to a b&w manga. Not that I've seen it, mind you, but it's sort of like... I dunno, making the only available release of the Beatles a techno dance remix or something.

The line about the sound effects makes me wonder if Marvel loaded it up with big balloon-letter "Blam! Pow! Sock!" stuff to conceal the Japanese letters, for fear that American readers would break out into hives at the sight of kana.

Things have changed

I agree with you - the american distribution channels have gone to some pretty great lenghts to conceal the fact that a style which is blatantly Japanese might be from Japan. But in recent past Bandai has made sure places like Cartoon Network kept pretty faithful to all of their source materials, and Dark Horse comics have released a bunch of manga such as Ah My Goddess, 3x3 Eyes (and even recently a 5-series compilation book [128pp] for the cost of a single comic).

Things aren't perfect yet, but they are definately getting better. It's ironic that you mention the Beatles, too - anyone want to draw the parallels to the British invasion of the 60's and the inroads asian culture seems to be making in American entertainment?

I know it seems kind of wrong that they colored a b&w manga and the reasons that they did it were also questionable, but I will say in their defense that the coloring wasn't horrendous or over done. I own a few of the original American releases that were colored and if someone hadn't told me that all of them were supposed to be b&w I would have assumed that some were and some weren't and would've been happy. It was a pretty good coloring job.

I am glad, however, that we will be seeing them in their pure b&w form this time around. =)

I don't take issue with there being a colorized version, I just don't like it if it's the only version available. Coloring something that was intended to be shown in black and white would be difficult at best, since you're fighting the shading in the original all the way, and also might have to deal with moire patterns from the original halftones and your color sheets. I mean, I've seen moire in just b&w manga reprints (Mixx, ergh, don't even get me started...) so I tend to be sceptical when an American company tries to "improve" an excellent comic.

As for Akira, I've seen the movie probably 3 times, I seemed to find it a little easier to understand once I knew a little about Shinto, although maybe that's just my take on it...

Originally posted by armadillo88
    coool. feiry im never gonna let you forget you stole my idea. you plundered it ruthlessly. ill post this mesage everywheere.
    yo dillo calm down .. and take it easy man !!!

cool lets hope they do a translation into german !! but anyway if it is avalible in english i´ll order it whatever it cost

Older news from the Otakon, but interesting nonetheless.
    (from http://www.animenewsnetwork.com)

"A new Akira dub will be produced, with Dolby 5.1 Audio for both the Japanese and the English renditions. There will be two versions produced (presumably on VHS and DVD): a "movie-only" version, and a "special edition" version, with lots of extras. Before we see a commercial release, Pioneer is looking at the possibility of a theatrical re-release, or a TV release first. The Pioneer represenative felt fairly certain that it will be a year from the signing of the contracts until the final product is released."

Ever go to your ocal video store's anime section and see all the different versions of Akira - Subtitled, Dubbed, Letterbox, Director's Cut, etc., etc.
    Wouldn't it be cool to have them all on one DVD?
    Let's hope Pioneer does this right.
    Besides, I'd love to see that b*tchin' opening sequence on the motorcycles on the big screen with Dolby Digital Surround Sound. Yeah!
    Tetsuo!

Beyond the Sea

oh man..

you just made me drool on my keyboard! They've GOT to release this thing in theaters! Do they realize how HUGE this could be? They'd be fools, FOOLS I tells ya, not to do this!

Rich