dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: What Do You Think Of This Job Offer?

A company has offered to hire me as a subcontractor. They go find the web design work then farm out the work to me, giving me 30% of what they charge the client for the site. They usually charge clients $1000-$1500 for an average site (static) of around 7-10 pages.

Now I know this is not great money but since I'm still somewhat new to web design (about 1 1/2 year's experience), do you think this is a fair-somewhat fair offer from them?

Me personally I have lost a lot more money than I made.

I wouldn't do it bacause i might sign something I shouldn't.

Be carefull, read everything, and don't get your hands in some sticky stuff you can't wipe off.

Ambassador of Style
    That's crazy! They are only gonna give you a 30/70 cut for the work that you are doing! That's insane! 60/40 (you getting 60) should be absolute bare min. What they are doing is exactly like what an agency will do, and every agency give you at least a 60% cut of the final rate.

It's understandable that they should be paid for getting you the gig - but any company that isn't willing to walk away from making $400 on every $1000 - and doing NOTHING, is simply shady.

I know work is scarce these days, but it doesn't mean that you should let people screw you. Just my humble opinion.

-A02

Stupid Little Dreamer
    30% is highway robbery. Even Hollywood agents, with their bad reputations, don't get anywhere near this.

Think of it this way: you'd have to work three contracts for them to equal just one (actually a bit less than one) that you could get on your own. Therefore, if you work for this company, you'd better be damned sure that they'll give you more than three times the amount of work you could have found yourself, or you'll lose money.

The Minister of No Crap

30%? You should smack them just for mentioning that. They should get no more than 20%. You will be doing most of the work and they will be taking the credit for it. Seriously man, don't be treated like a common street hooker.

-scott
    http://www.scottmanning.com

Heaven is made
    of 1's and 0's

Not to add fuel to the fire

But how desperate are you? If I were you - put in a little effort and get the work yourself. That way you can pocket ALL the money.

He hehehe..
    And be rich..

Okay - maybe not..
    But it just came out.

Bad Eyenovation, no biscuit.

Ambassador of Style
    Whoa! Some of you guys aren't getting it. The agency isn't getting the 30% - they are getting 70%!

As for an agency getting 20% max - you're either on crack or I need to move! Hehehehe! Generally, agencies take about 40% of the final rate (which you don't see). For example, an agency will get you a job at $60 an hour. You get the full $60, but they are really charging the client $100 - making it a 60/40 split. As much as it sucks - it's generally the norm (in SF, LA, and Boston anyways)...

-A02

The Minister of No Crap

Originally posted by AGENT 02
    As for an agency getting 20% max - you're either on crack or I need to move! Hehehehe! Generally, agencies take about 40% of the final rate (which you don't see). For example, an agency will get you a job at $60 an hour. You get the full $60, but they are really charging the client $100 - making it a 60/40 split. As much as it sucks - it's generally the norm (in SF, LA, and Boston anyways)...

-A02
    Well, anyone who has found me work, I always make sure I give them around 20%... but that was just people I knew. They weren't really agencies that specialize in finding work.

Anyway, 40% sounds like a lot still. Where are you getting your numbers?

-scott

Ambassador of Style
    The thing is - you don't know it's 30%-40%, but it usually is (the agency never tells you the final rate). I get my info from myself and all my buddies that get gigs from Aquent, Comm-Collab, and Randstad...

I mean sometimes it's less, but 40% isn't unusual. There was a big discussion about this on FK about a month ago. See, the thing is that all the "big-name" companies have contracts with these temp/contract agencies - they have to get temp/contract work from them. The thing is, your cut is still darn tasty and you get the adavantage of working for clients that won't give the traditional freelancer the time of day. It's a double edged sword.

-A02

Well, I was afraid of this. I knew that I was not being given what I was worth, even if I'm no superstar web designer. I can put together a web site with some decent, simple graphics and even that requires more pay than the 30% they're giving me. $300-$450 a site isn't worth it.

They did say that they only expected simple, template sites from me but they are not calling me back soon enough with green lights on projects for me to pay bills with. I expected to do 2 of these a week which would at least give me $2400 a month. Not a lot but good enough to live off of for now.

But like I said, I do a mock up and it takes forever for them to get the images to the client and then for them to get back to me and give me the go ahead with the HTML. There's no way I'm gonna be able to get 2 projects a week even if I could pull it off.

I'm gonna tell them I can't do it for less than 50%. I'm sure you all think that's still too low but I'm sure they won't even go for that, even though I'm better than the guys they have doing their sites now. (I've seen the other's work and it sucks.)

If the industry wasn't in such bad shape, I wouldn't even have to consider taking work like this.

The Minister of No Crap

Originally posted by Gotha
    $300-$450 a site isn't worth it.
    Now you're talking!

-scott

Dont do it!

30% is alot, unless you charge them an extra 20%

If you are having trouble getting work, try elance, sitefly, or guru. It might seem a little disapointing, but it is all worth the trouble in the end.