A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Increase Flash's Work area Size?

Is it possible to increase flash 5's working area size? I need to move 1 big & wide mc left & right & i am unbale to go far enough to the right to add to my mc. I thought i saw someone ask this before but i can't find the post. Any help is greatly appreciated!

thats easy

go to Modify > Movie and select the size in pixels or inches. or, just press Ctrl+M and charnge the size in pixels or inches

Re: thats easy

thanks for the reply, but not what i meant.

i mean the gray area around the stage, not the "stage" itself. the stage is what is visible to the user, the work area is around it. maybe this will clear up what i mean by "stage" & "work area":

----------------------------------
    |//|---------|/////////////////////|
    |//|\\\\\\\\\\|/////////////////////|
    |//|\STAGE\\|/////////////////////|
    |//|---------|////////////////////|
    |///////////////////////////////////|
    |///////////////WORK AREA///////|
    |////////////////////////////////////|
    |////////////////////////////////////|
    -----------------------------------

maybe there is not a way, but how would u go about making a side scrolling background that is longer than flash's work area?

oh,i know wut mean now... and i have no idea... i've tried it before too, but i cant get it to work, just make everything smaller

hi
    oh know what you mean, just make the movie much bigger, then draw what you need, then when finished decrease the movie size back down to normal, you shoud find that you have lost more space when you do this

Matthew

Yeah, that is what i thought. Kinda dumb that flash was made this way, but what can ya do?

Thanks for your replies guys.

There is another way as well. I did this when I was trying to make an overhead game. What you can do is if the level is all in one big movie clip. Go into the mc and select everything. decrease the width and height by 50%. Now everything in your moveie is half as small as it was. Now with the instance on the stage stretch it 200%. Since flash is vector based, this makes no difference on quality. =) Then when you want to edit the level, dont just double click it cause you'll only have the same area, but instead open the library and double click there so all you see on the stage is the mc. Hope this helps =)

If i made no sense let me know..... I'll try to explain it better.

i know a guy who is a graphic designer.
    what he does is has two monitors and two video cards
    so when your pointer should stop moving to the side of the screen...
    it keeps going to the other monitor.
    he also has all the tools and stuff on one monitor and the stage on the other.

That still doesnt give more workspace, only more desktop space. Flash still allots the same amount of workspace. I had to monitors..... till the one tube blew..... stupid montior.... hehe

try zooming out

AlPhA
    http://www.cyberpitstop.net

I run into the same problem. that area isnt rezisable, so the only way i found was to rezise de movieclip i was working on, do everything, and then make it big again. if it gets out of the gray area, it is still complete, so it doesn´t matter. i wonder why that area is not resizable, sure there is an explanation to it. otherway i cant think of why they did it with a static size.