A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: how do I do this?

I have seen this done so many times. I would like to create a navagational button that will pop up additional links when rolled over. How do I go about this? I tried to put the additional links in the roll over state of my button but as soon as I try to click the other links the window disappears (obviously). So how do I set this up?

A simple pull down menu would be created with a MovieClip. First create a button that will be used as the top menu button, say a rectangle with a different fill color for each hit state.

Then create your MC. You wil have two keyframes, collapsed and expanded. In the collapsed frame, drag an instance of your button on the stage and lay your text on it. This instance will be your main button and also contain the rollover mouse event. On rollover>gotoAndStop>expanded keyframe. In the expanded keyframe just drag as many instances on your button onto the stage as needed and position them accordingly and script their commands.

This gives you a simple pull-down buttton. But from here you will begin to see the possiblities of making it more comples with tweens and animations.

Good luck.