A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: how do i achieve smooth tweening with imported jpgs?

hi

maybe someone knows this problem:
    i have to use big jpg images at rather high quality which are moved and scaled etc. but now the performance gets real bad. it looks like it has cpu problems or something (the movie is slowed down). so you notice each frame and the motion looks bumpy...
    :-[

are there some special tips and tricks about that?

thanks
    leaf

i dunno much about this but what i would do is increase the frame rate to say 24fps and just extend how long the tween goes. this should stop it being so bumpy.
    laters

nah... i already use 50 fps.
    maybe this is too much?

leaf

umm look at the thread "Crystal Clear Images in Flash 5", its about 5 threads down from urs, that should give u some tips.
    i think the problem is ur image size is just to big, tweening a jpeg increases file size hugely, if u can avoid it, it would be best to. i dont think tweening ever really works for large jpegs. unless u have a really powerful computer.

hi,
    i think you just have to find a balance - the bigger the jpeg/longer the tween - the slower itll get. increasing the frame rate wont really help - what you have to do is compensate and find a happy medium between the jpeg quality and the speed.

Tweening of jpg graphics is processor-intensive.
    Increasing fps does nothing.

The way is using Lower-Q Images....
    maybe use some vector graphics instead if you can.

rubbish generator has it right trace the jpeg using "trace bitmap". This will convert it into a vector graphic. I don't think flash was designed to handle tweening raster graphics.

i do think that tracing it would work - the image quality will go down rapidly, and could possibly be even more processor intensive than just using jpegs....

I don't suggest using tracing bmp,
    but using simple vector graphics can solve the problem caused.

Right?

Yes simple vectors will always tween smoothly. But what if you need to use a raster. Would trace bitmap not at least smoothen it compared to an imported raster? The processor is basically moving the raster pixel by pixel. Where the calculation for a vector is much faster.

The detail of the vector graphcis should be considered.

Tracing bmp with great detail, it is more processor-intersive than that of raster.
    (You may try to make the highest Q vector graphics by trace bmp......time consuming)

Actually I didn't know that. Thanx. I will keep that in mind for future projects.