dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Webdesigners

Hi,
    I was wondering if there's still a high demand for webdesigners. Cause it isn't going too well with the IT market.

it really depends where you are...

in general things are not as good as they were, never will be.

Large Member
    in los angeles? the answer is no. i was laid off 6 months ago and i finally started working this month. and that's only because i know html, dhtml, asp- in addition to my design skills. employers are looking for well-rounded people that work on the "front-end." if you only know HTML, or if you only know photoshop/flash, you'll have a hell of a time finding work because those openings are reserved for the top of the field.

Ambassador of Style
    Unless you've been in the business for awhile, it's not a good position to be looking for (or in). I've been lucky from the standpoint of that I've done about 30 sites in a little over 3 years, so the experience has kept me afloat. Like someone said above, if you only know Photoshop and front-end... and haven't been doing it for a couple years - it will be very hard to find a job. Just my opinion.

-A02

Alien Bob
    My spaceship's currently in for it's service...

Orbiting the Earth just above Peterborough
    I agree, I got made redundant from my last job back in April along with about 20 other people. Luckily I'd been in the field for a few years and had both design and programming skills, so found it relativly easy to get another job, although I still know a few people who got made redundant at the same time who still havn't got jobs, because they either don't have the experience or there skills are too limited.

ok i know a bit of everything, but i dont really excell in any one area, do i need to step up a gear to be able to land a job?
    jookbox u said u added html and asp to ur design skills, just how much asp do u know? the basics or did u have really know it in order to get ur new job?

Interesting thread. Just out of curiosity, how many of you have college degrees? You see, I'm currently looking to begin my career, as I graduated in May with a BA in Advertising and a Minor in Architecture. My focus was pretty much Graphic & Interactive Design and Visual Communication. I've got a pretty well rounded skill set, mostly design programs, Flash, HTML, as well as good understanding of computers in general, basic networking, all Windows platforms, Macs, various computer issues as well. I think that the computer skills beyond graphic ones are often ones that not all graphic designers have, so I've felt that it works to my advantage very much.
    I think we all have met people that are good at doing graphics and web design, but are clueless when it comes to knowing about the computer itself.

I would like to get a bit more technical skills to further round out what I have so far, DHTML, XML and database skills would definatly be a nice addition.

mg33

Large Member
    Originally posted by richp
    ok i know a bit of everything, but i dont really excell in any one area, do i need to step up a gear to be able to land a job?
    jookbox u said u added html and asp to ur design skills, just how much asp do u know? the basics or did u have really know it in order to get ur new job?
    on the job self training.. i learned enough to build an access database for a real estate company- (defunct). i made templates for dynamic pages, (property listings and agent personal pages). searchable forms by number of bedrooms, price, location, etc. also the property pages could be updated via web browser by the agent. not the most complicated stuff, but i was learning as i was going.

mg33- i have a BA in anthropology. can't say that it did much, although a consulting company i worked for had ethnographers, which i thought was pretty cool.

i recommend becoming a MASTER at HTML. as far as coding goes, it's the easiest thing you'll ever learn. if you're a quick learner, i would use that as a selling point. there's so many different app servers it would be a pain to try to figure which one to learn. more likely than not, your next job will use a different technology. i know coldfusion and asp. i've only used asp once.

Learn the basics of everything is what i did. Then I focussed on what i liked, but i can still put all the stuff i know basics of on a resume.

If certain skills are needed, I'll learn them online.

Ambassador of Style
    MG33: Rock on! I graduated with a degree in Marketing, concentration in Advertising. Ended up turning down a job offer in NYC with FCB out of college! I was offered a job as internet manager for a global audio company based on 2 sites I had done for fun in college back on 98.

Going in I knew HTML, a working knowledge of JavaScript, etc. Now, I know quite a bit more! I've self-taught myself just about everything and have found that learning-by-doing works best.

The two buzz things to learn now seem to be ColdFusion (dynamic-driven Flash) and LiveMotion. If you want ot really get yourself ahead of the curve and make some killer cash in the future - consider JSP...

Eventually though, I honestly feel to become the best you can be - you need to kind of focus on either the backend or frontend of things. Many people do both well, but to be the absolute best - I feel most people need to focus on one or the other.

Cheers!

-A02

i am at current doing a degree in engineering, nothing related to web, do i need a degree in design to be in this industry, because i just design on what looks good, i have no idea about the thought process behind my designs, does this matter, do companies care about degrees? or do they wanna see what u can do?

Large Member
    Originally posted by richp
    i am at current doing a degree in engineering, nothing related to web, do i need a degree in design to be in this industry, because i just design on what looks good, i have no idea about the thought process behind my designs, does this matter, do companies care about degrees? or do they wanna see what u can do?
    depends on company. it seems like many don't want to even interview you if you don't have a degree. some of the best designer's i've seen don't have degrees, or are dropouts. it mainly depends on your online portfolio.

one more thing,the job i just got, they said they were getting about 100 applications a week for my position. 80% of them were thrown away without even being viewed because there's no online portfolio. i don't have a degree and i live in LA where it's very competitive.

would it be to much to ask if i could see anything from ur portfolio? just curious to see where the industry standard is at. cheers.

Montreal

Hey all
    I live in Montreal Quebec Canada. From what i've heard the whole media (flash/html and thw whole webdesign, game producttion adn so on..)is very developped over here. Im only 15 so i cannot say i "KNOW" anthtiyn well.. maybe flash, even tho i really suck @ AS for the moment. I do a lilte photoshop here and there, experiment with Dreamweaver, Poser etc etc...

What did u mean by "BECOME A HTML MASTER"??? How can i become an html master? does html master mean also Javascript, java dhtml etc etc?

thanx for answering.. these answers will influene my career choice in a few yaers..

u know when u are playing around with dreamweaver, u can view the source that makes up the page, thats all html code, with maybe a bit of java. i dont recon theres any need to be able to write html from scratch but be able to understand the code if its in front of u. go to a search engine find some html tutorials and read through them. get a feel for how html works. the best way to learn is to keep at it. learn dreamweaver/flash and photoshop, then move onto some backend stuff, like perl or php. starting off with simple email scripts then moving on to harder stuff. basically the more u know the better off u r, its good to know back end and front end stuff, that way when u get bored of the one side u can switch to the other. but just work at one thing at a time and in a year or so u'll be pretty confident with what u can do on the web. good luck.
    laters

Oh i perfectly understnad HTML. I could even, with soem practice, write some form scractch.. i read a 400 page book "HTML 4 DUMIES". I can understand perfectly thehtml in any webpage. If this is being a master... itz too ez

dont worry about writing it from scatch, i recon thats a waste of time, it takes a few minutes in dreamweaver, it would take u all day to write it by hand, not to mention the amount of mistakes u would make! learn perl or php, thats where u get true value for money!

I want to learn Java and Flash AS. This is my goal for the next 7-9 months..

i dont know a hell of alot, but if ur gonna learn a high level language, id choose perl or php, i recon u will get more out of it. just my opinion, ask an expert.

Did any of you guys thought about just being a graphics webdesigner.
    This means you have basic knowledge of HTML (and you know dreamweaver), you can work with Flash, Photoshop (good!) and for example Coreldraw or Illustrator.
    You make graphics for Companies who need them but don't need them thát frequently to hire someone intern (in other words, GO FREELANCE)
    I'm from Belgium. I learned Quark Xpress just to get a main job in a printing company. And in my spare time, I designed webgraphics for larger companies. I have my own little 'one-man' company called Kay Design and I hope to expand so that one day that will be my only occupation.

I have to add that my next learning project is PHP but that you can survive perfectly as a designer...

-Mettes