dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Interesting Post Thread

Hello everyone.

Interesting post thread going on here. Maybe I can contribute a little from Irvine, California - USA. A lot of these postings are from europe and elsewhere and it has been interesting seeing what going on out there.

I am a creative director at a small new media ad firm. We do not have a lot of employees so many of where multiple hats. I personally do most of the flash work. Although I also do a lot of web/CD rom work as well. I make $80k/yr US at my full time job here - and another 35k/yr working in my spare time (evenings) picking up moonlighting flash jobs throughout the year.

I there is truth in both comments above. There is a lot (and going to continue to be a lot) of work out there for anybody in rich media development. Mostly because of the rate of connectivity and technology. Though there are increasingly more talented flashers popping up - I do not see them saturating an ever increasing rich media marketplace. Also, people make money for two other reasons. They are talented....and they are well rounded in other supportive areas.

Let me explain. I have my degree in film scoring and for most of my youth wrote music for film and radio. I have also been engineering music professionally off/on for many years. This means I can not only score my own music for projects...but edit it as well. Further, I have been designing formany years as well. Learning graphic concepts is very constructive to a lot of things we do all day. Over the past 5 years, since developing web sites and inyteractives for clients....it has allowed me to learn most programming languages too.

Put all this together, and you are deadly out here. My point is...it pays to become interested in all the things that come into play when developing flash for clients.

My flash programmers make anywhere from $40/hr to $120/hr.

Hope this helps your perception of the marketplace out here in California!

Cheers,

Joe

Heaven is made
    of 1's and 0's
    Joe

Congrats on your success in the industry. Where abouts are you guys in Irvine. What is the firm name?

I attend Cal State Fullerton and would be very interested in stopping by to have a look at your firm. Perhaps you have some advice for a student.

I believe the myth or perception is that there is NO work out there for RICH content like Flash. Perhaps you could provide some insight as to how to drum up new business or find clients willing to pay for services.

You seem to do quite well for yourself.

tell me, is this sellable..... OddDog's Avatar
    Eye, I have to say that like any product one has to know how to sell it.

If you do not sell well, find someone how does.

I vam shocked to here that there is a preseption of a lack of demand in the usa for rich media.

I live in Spain, Galicia (top left hand corner) and here my fight is to get companies with decent turnover (over 5 millon USD a year) interested in a web PRESENCE !!!! For get about rich media.

But I have a sneeking suspicion that when they jump they for for rich, tyhat way making up for lost ground. It is what happened with connection speeds. Form nothing to cable.

This is his company's site. Nice design, large download.

hey joe

looks like the California market is great. i'm a flash designer/developer out of Oklahoma. i make 30,000 a year and have recently put up my own site to try to get some freelance work. there isn't much of a flash demand around here. i've thought of relocating in the next few years to California or New York. but that is a big risk. i'd appreciate it if you would take time to look at my site and some of the examples listed of my work and give me your opinions. would i have a shot landing a job or getting work in that kind of a competative market? i'd love to get some feedback from someone in the industry who is so successful.
    http://www.1107design.com

(page of my other work from this year)

http://www.1107design.com/1.asp

thanks! please email me if you want.

Heaven is made
    of 1's and 0's
    Both sites are very good.
    Congrats to both of you for making good money doing what you like to do.

Oh me, I get paid negative amounts of money..

I made a mistiake!

Hi all,

I acidentally posted a new thread when I was originally replying to this thread

http://board.flashkit.com/board/show...hreadid=149344

Just want to make that declaration! Some professional I am! : )

EYENOVATION - thanks for writing. email me or call the firm # and we would be happy to entertain your visit. Would be good to talk about what you are seeing out there (Student life perspective). I think you are getting the impression that there is no need for flash work because you are not part of a sales oriented business model. I can explain further later.

CLUELESS1 - Your work is exceptional for a beginner. I love the way you compounded the enertia sliding effect on top of one another. You should have no problem finding work Fulltime for at least 35k/yr or contract $40/hr. Good Luck!

Cheers,

Joe Stammen