A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Pay for FLAs?

Hey there,

what do you think about paying for FLAs?
    I mean tutorial or example movies like
    their here on Flashkit or other ressources.
    Would u pay for useful FLAs or not?
    If so how much?

I ask cause I think good work should be
    paid. Not with a pricing like 1000$ for
    a little script, but I think I would pay
    about 50$ for a Script which makes me
    save time in my developement.

Whats your opinion?

I once bought a nice CGI program that handled my mail forms and feedback. Then, I ran accross a free repository for open-source CGI programs that offered a much nicer, more versatile form handler that cost me nothing!

Moral: Why pay for what is free? In addition, where files are open-source, you will most likely find a more refined, tested product. With knowledge of sites like Flashkit and the like who offer free source files, I would never purchase an .FLA from a "pay" site.

"What about support?" you might ask. Well, Flashkit's .FLA sources come with the most expansive support system on the internet... the Flashkit forums.

There's really no reason to pay, IMHO.

Thanks for your opinon.

But what if the neccassary .FLA
    isn't available at open source
    (it cost for example 20$).
    Would you do, crack the .SWF
    or buy the .FLA

The Minister of No Crap

Originally posted by AlanSutter
    Thanks for your opinon.

But what if the neccassary .FLA
    isn't available at open source
    (it cost for example 20$).
    Would you do, crack the .SWF
    or buy the .FLA
    Definitely buy it. You can try and crack the swf, but by the time you successfully cracked the swf, buying the FLA would have been the better option. $20 is not that much for a script. If you need the script for a client, then you could write the cost of the script somewhere in your invoice. That's what I do.

-scott
    http://www.scottmanning.com

Are you suggesting that cracking the .swf is an alternative?
    I am only saying that I have never had the need to purchase an .fla file. I have access to several wonderful resources for flash source, just as anyone else does that chooses to look for them.

Have I ever been in a bind while creating something and needed help, searched and found no .fla to assist me? Absolutely! I'm sure everyone has. Here's what I have done... first I tried to figure it out, second I searched for an example source, third I come to Flashkit and search the forums to see if anyone has been in the same spot I'm in, fourth I post a question here and open up an wonderful exchange of ideas and intellect.

So, you're saying, "What if you want to save time, and money." Well, you can do whatever you want, but what I'll do is take a small hit on this project, learn what I need to do, and then make up for it on the next project with my newfound skills.

By the way, Alan... take it light. I never said your idea was bad, I just said I wouldn't use it.

Regards,
    Jabez

The Minister of No Crap

Originally posted by JabezStone
    Are you suggesting that cracking the .swf is an alternative?
    It is an alternative, but so is stealing someone's computer to get their FLA files. It doesn't make it right though.

-scott
    http://www.scottmanning.com

Heaven is made
    of 1's and 0's

Why ruin a good thing

Sure, there have been times where I would have traded my whole week's salary for the right FLA, but to start charging? I think at that point, you will get people who dont want to support open source systems like Flash Kit, because they feel it would hamper the revenue generating efforts.

FlashKit is great because it allows someone with minimal Flash experience to learn with all the tools available to them.

If you start charging, I think you might limit the growth of Flashers creating great content..

Just my $.02

I read an article in a magazine where an agency creates an
    3D Engine which could be used for games like doom and other
    3D Stuff. The Engine is very good (http://www.coin-up-city.com),
    but I heared the .FLA would cost about 55.000 €.

What are you thinking about this?
    Is it the money worth or not.

Arckid - Curving the Web
    hi guys ...

some teacher of some university wants to buy my personal site's FLA to learn herself and to teach her students about the effects and etc., she is not gonna use them for commercial purpose ... and she is asking me for the cost of it ...

i m from india and never sell any FLA so can u ppl help me out to hav cost of it ???

my site is http://www.aashu.f2s.com and the flash version is what she wants ...

thanks in advance ...