dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Converting the masses???

Plutarian(From Pluto, stupid!) kitchee's Avatar
    I not sure if this question has come up a hundred times before but I can't seem to find it on the board so if any of you nice people out there could help, it would be very much appreciated.

I have shots I have taken with a digital camera (JPEG's). Now I what to take them and make a scene with them in flash but would like them to be coverted into vector graphics. How can I convert these into vectors?? Can I??

Here is a sample of what Im kinda trying to do.
    http://www.artofdesign.f2s.com/graphics.htm
    Its about 426k so give it a minute to load up.

Example: I have a PIC (high detail) of a tree. I want to convert it to vector based graphics. Whats the best way to do this.

Is there any programs that can do this?
    I don't what to trace..

Any suggestions?

Flash has a bitmap to vector conversion tool built in. But after taking a look at that picture you posted I would have to say they drew them in. If they didn't just draw them out of the blue, they used photos only as a guide for the drawing. Also, with the gradient shadows and other things in the pic, I'm not convinced those are vector graphics. If they are, well... then they are veeeeery good manipulators in a vector program.

responce

I don't think the Pic I posted is a vector. What do you suppose they used to get that effect?

Im tring to get a graphic-realistic effect to the PICS I have taken without using the original-"real" look.

Im aware of the bit to vec in flash but it doesn't get the best quality or at least the quality Im looking for.Im wondering if there is a proggy out there designed to to this.

Thanks for the reply..

Yes this is a raster. And there are raster to vector conversion programms. I use Adobe Streamline but there is also Corel Trace. I use Steamline. Although they do have more options for tracing, this image will not look very good. You do have some ptions though.

-Are you going to tween this graphic?
    If not try shrinking the jpg down to the exact pixel size you need.
    Load it in under another layer, or page. Then it will loaded up when that layer or page in requested. Remember to convert it to a graphic symbol in Flash.

-Do you need it this large or need to animate it?
    Simplify the image in Photo Shop as much as possible. And again only use the pixel width necessary.

On second thought> I just tried conversion of this graphic. It does not look good no matter the settings. You are better off recreating this in something like Illustrator. As for the image it looks to all be done in Photo Shop or another paint program. It's very well done.

Large Member
    i use streamline, but even at the highest detail settings the image will not be as detailed as you want, plus there would be too many paths to deal with in flash. depending on what you want to do, you might want to keep a static bitmap, and artificially animate certain parts using vector art.

:-\
    um....I wonder whether it is vector or raster.
    it may be "vector + raster" graphics..

but i don't believe these softwares can convert raster image to vector with such high Q.

I think that image you've linked to is just a fully created image, probably in a 3d program. I'd say it's a raster image, but of course I'm not all that familiar with the various outputs of 3d programs.

I will agree with the comments most people have posted, in that there is no way using bitmap trace in Flash will you get a photo to look the same as it does normally in a raster format. No way in the world. I also can't imagine that there's any program that will convert it perfectly to vector. It's just the complicated nature of it, and also in that when you think about vector, you often think of it in an illustration program sense, creating shapes and other things that are not so completely complicated as a photograph.

mg33

Originally posted by megatoon
    Yes this is a raster. And there are raster to vector conversion programms. I use Adobe Streamline but there is also Corel Trace. I use Steamline. Although they do have more options for tracing, this image will not look very good. You do have some ptions though.

-Are you going to tween this graphic?
    If not try shrinking the jpg down to the exact pixel size you need.
    Load it in under another layer, or page. Then it will loaded up when that layer or page in requested. Remember to convert it to a graphic symbol in Flash.

-Do you need it this large or need to animate it?
    Simplify the image in Photo Shop as much as possible. And again only use the pixel width necessary.

I don't think I will be tweening or do much animation to the image. If I do I will most likely put them on a seperate layer and they would be minimal. Just for effect purposes. I have access to streamline but never checked the proggy out yet. I think I'll have a look at that and start from there.
    Thanks for all the replies so far....
    Any more suggestions that might help?? tips??

sorry messed it up above...

I don't think I will be tweening or do much animation to the image. If I do I will most likely put them on a seperate layer and they would be minimal. Just for effect purposes. I have access to streamline but never checked the proggy out yet. I think I'll have a look at that and start from there.
    Thanks for all the replies so far....
    Any more suggestions that might help?? tips??

Cow Icon Re: sorry messed it up above...

Alright....that graphic is definately a combination of things...from the posts you've put, I take it you're looking for a way to make your photos look more "fake" while still looking real, yes?...in the image you linked to, I know at least some parts were taken from photographs, and some parts were done in a 3d app. Note the photorealistic buildings in the background...definately taken from photos, but they look "less real" because whoever made this applied some subtle coloring filters to them, or so im guessing...also, all of those photo realistic buildings either came from different photos or different areas in the same photo...the lighting doesnt match up on them...meanwhile..some of the other stuff was definately done in a 3d app (i.e. the strange staircase/altar thing near the foreground of the image [bottom right])...and that sky looks suspiciously like a bryce3d sky...other parts were definately done in a raster program, probably adobe photoshop, this is particularly evident on the signs...as for the vector art, i really don't see much..those balls in the corners look like raster or 3d rendered stuff, and even the screen looks raster...it really looks to me like its just an imagemap with rollover effects....hope that helps...

~MT

yep!!
    i agree with MTMTMT..
    it seems combination of vectors and rasters

OH, first post?!
    HAHA, welcome to flashkit, MTMTMT.

heh

Lol...thanks...I've had the account for a few months...but this is my first post with it...cuz im lazy