A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wanna be in a book? Everyone who post will be!

Samuel C. Granato
    Multimedia Utopia

I recently was asked to write a book about flash5 by a new publishing group in England. This group publishes books on motion graphics tools and techniques; most of their books are focused on design and creativity.

The reason I am posting: I would like to know what kinds of examples you would want to see in a new flash book. Actionscripting, Vector Video Animation etc...

This must sound like a survey, but I promise to include everyones name that participates in this. Post what things you would like to see and it will be included in the cd portion of the book.

Thanks,

Diavolo

super-senior member

actionscripting

hi, ...

well euhm
    i bought a book 'bout F4 to learn & understand the ascripting ...didn't work ...
    so maybe a completely "dissection" 'bout the scripting language ...
    also the combination with javascripting ...

greetz, sven

ps: also a good explanation 'bout jpeg's/bitmaps/ai-file/eps /compressing, etc ../
    [Edited by snuifkip.com on 08-24-2000 at 07:26 AM]

Re: actionscripting

Originally posted by snuifkip.com
    hi, ...

well euhm
    i bought a book 'bout F4 to learn & understand the ascripting ...didn't work ...
    also the combination with javascripting ...

greetz, sven
    Yes, I would also like that

I think what would be good is an animation techniques section, which explains the basic import function and what to do with the animation when the user has imported the picture into flash! I have seen a lot of flash characters popping up and I think this will help a lot of people

cheers

What I would find interesting in such a book besides a good explanation of the actionscripting part is a good review of other programs that export in swf, such as Swish and Swift3d and a clear description of how import certain files (e.g. movies and what types are supported)

This would make a book quite complete in my opinion.

Former Employee of Satan Napalm's Avatar
    The most disappointing thing about most Flash books is the lack of indepth explanation of Actionscripting and a lot of examples.

3d is cool - but I think people has the most problems getting to grips with Actionscripting.

Flash book

Would definitely like to get more info on actionscripts, as well as more explaination of swift and swish.

Re: actionscripting

Originally posted by snuifkip.com
    also the combination with javascripting
    This is it! A quick ref. table of functions and things like that and what they do, like a short definition, would be very good and helpful.

cheers

A

Add another person to the list of those wanting total Action Script coverage, it just wasn't explained well in any Flash 4 books I have seen or read. (btw this is my 100th post!!!)

an idea....

can you make the book at a price where i dont have to break my piggy bank to buy it?

=)

i've never bought a book so i have no idea.
    which makes all of the preceding ideas sound like a good idea.

I think many people would enjoy reading interesting things about my life

If the publishing group is focused on creativity, you could try to explain some basics about developing effects with actionscript and about character animation... even some basics about Flash site development, how to design it, so you can include it in a HTML-window (Those Popup-thingies don't work for someone with javascript deactivated) and tips for workflow (for example make text a symbol so you can change it faster), and I would make a big section about navigation design in Flash and a section how to develop Flash for Palm-Tops and ... maybe I should write a book too

Hope this helps(will you have a page at the end of the book with 200 names in a size of 5 points ? )

hi,

hehe near at the 100 myself, ill get there slowly, as far as helping ive used quite a bit of flash4 by now, and with the upcoming scripting changes with 5, basically ill have to learn from semi-scratch again.

youre to right, im in the UK and the closest thing to a serious explanation of scripting was the F4Bible.

games :> now theres something that i know a few bods, would like to learn to do.

even the basics of a breakout style game, or any of the old retro style games like pacman. now that would be something cool :>
    [Edited by DaZ on 08-24-2000 at 08:24 AM]

Personally, I'm most interested in the new ActionScripting language, but then again I used to be a programmer

In a Flash 5 book it would be nice to really emphasize not just how the new scripting works, but how you do functionX in Flash 5 versus how you did functionX in Flash 4, explaining the differences. F5 scripting is going to blow away those who aren't programming types but have gotten used to scripting in Flash 4.

Interactivity with external scripts and files is a must. I haven't seen a Flash 4 book yet that covers either of these in any detail whatsoever.

Aside from the obvious (new features, removed features, etc.), the only other thing I can think of that would be nice is a chapter or 2 on design and design theory. I see a lot of stuff out there that you can tell has been well thought out, has been worked on for a long time, and is functional but looks like hell.

Samuel C. Granato
    Multimedia Utopia

Originally posted by flashmonk
    Hope this helps(will you have a page at the end of the book with 200 names in a size of 5 points ? )
    I think you brought up some good points..really good things to keep in mind. I plan on having one big scroll of names on the cd! hahahahahaha...I hate scrolling!!!

diavolo

FK Junkie

I am going to go with the majority and say...

Acionscripting, giving a breakdown of somewhat complex examples or reusable code (i.e. timers, forms, etc.). Also, and this may fit in with actionscripting, a basic run-down of cgi-scripts, perl, and other languages that interface with actionscript would be great.

3D is another good thing to touch on, mention some of the good products, the most common methods to make 3d vector animation (i.e. create in 3ds max->simplify it with a polychop type plugin->import it into swift 3d-> color and animate it->export to .swf->etc.).

Last thing, and again this probably fits in with the actionscripting , a rundown of flash 5 and its new and improved features (i.e. improved actionscripting ) would be great.

Hope it helps *couphactionscriptingcouph*

While adding a CD to the book, it might be an idea to use examples (files) that are downloadable at Flashkit to explain certain Actionscripts etc. (if Flashkit allows you to use their best examples of course )

I'd like to see a story about a sheep. Oh, and some explanation how all this XML stuff.

But mostly, stories about sheep.

Senior citizen
    Hi,

It would also be nice to see something on database connection. Could be usefull for many things such as E-business and multiplayer games...

Samuel C. Granato
    Multimedia Utopia

Originally posted by Stickman
    I'd like to see a story about a sheep. Oh, and some explanation how all this XML stuff.

But mostly, stories about sheep.
    That's so funny...I am here working my but off and you want sheep! Ok..I will add a sheep right by your name in the credits. These publishing guys want to see some examples buy Sept 4. I got alot of work to do.

Oh..Tiefight I think what everyone wants is a freakin guestbook to work properly. There are many flashers out there that have no clue on cgi or perl scripting and it's use in flash actionscripting.

If anyone wants to donate a working guestbook..for cgi or perl feel free to email that mug. The credit will be all yours.

Diavolo

Beyond the Sea

Put some emphasis on design...

Everything I've heard so far has been on the technical aspects of the program. I think every book on web design needs a good chapter on design and how that applies to the web, specifically motion graphics.

Rich