dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: What do u think about poping a window open to 750 x 450 if it is smaller?

I'm gathering opinions here. Our site doesn't scale well due to the bitmap graphics it incorporates. I've seen browser windows open to smaller dimentions and thought it might be a plus to bump the window open just enough to see the site. I'm not talking full screen, or getting rid of the top browser bars. Curious about people's opinions.

- Tony

window size

i don't think i understood your question properly,
    but if you scale in percentages rather than pixels you should be ok.

Ambassador of Style
    Have you considered simply popping a window 750 x 450 from a parent HTML page? Many sites do this (spawning a set window without scrollbars or toolbars). This gives you the luxury of setting your images at a specific size without worrying about resizing issues - plus you know that everyone gets the same exact experience you designed.

-A02

We can't scale in percentages, because the bitmap graphics will not look nice. What I was wondering is should the site somehow open the browser window to fit, or leave the window at the size it opened at. Do people really hate browser windows that resize themselves.

- Tony

One of the beauties of Flash is that it IS scalable.
    I know you say your bitmaps won't look as nice, but this is only if they are scaled up, not down.
    Here's what I'd do. Create your movie to be the largest size you think someone would view it at. Make the movie scalable in the browser by using 100% as the height and width. This way, whatever size the browser is opened to, your movie will look fine.

"should the site somehow open the browser window to fit, or leave the window at the size it opened at?"
    I'd say give the user control over that. Don't take power away from them by dictating the "optimal" size.

"Do people really hate browser windows that resize themselves?"
    I sure do. Ticks me right off.

BTW, this thread is bordering on a "General Help" topic. You would probably get more responses there.