A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Copying from one movie to another?

Question

I have three flash movies created seperately... two menus and an animation. I want to combine all three into a single movie... as Movie objects.

I have tried to use import, but I loose all of my layers and actions.

How can I do this without changing the way each one is built?

You can select all the frames in each swf that you want to move, then paste the frames into new movie clips in a new swf file. Cut and paste works pretty good in flash.

Another thing you can do is to use the "load movie" command to load each swf into the appropriate place in a parent movie.

Hope that helps a little.

The cut and past doesn't seem to move all of my layers? Do I need to do this one layer at at time?

Senior Moderator
    Defender of the Faith

Cool

You may have to change the names of your objects in order to get them into the movie. If they have some of the same names. Flash 4 at least will let you change the names of the objects in the library and still see them in all of your animations. You may run into "flash voodoo" if you have instance names that are the same on some of your movie clips. If you still want to move the items into the one movie. Just select all the frames by highlighting them and copy frames then create a new movie clip and select the first frame of the newtimeline and paste frames. You could make seperate scenes the same way.

I would use the load movie method since it would require less work and be just as effective. Regards, Bill

------------------
    Macromedians 1:1

In the beginning the web was without shape and color, and the hype covered the darkness of the net. Then there was a Flash and life came to the web and vision became reality.
    <EMBED src="/cgi-bin/ubb/Members/sigs/00000100.swf" quality=high WIDTH=360 HEIGHT=60 TYPE="application/x-shockwave-flash" PLUGINSPAGE="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"> </EMBED>

I looked at the Load Movie action... it is an Action correct? If I use that action to load the .swf's, how do I place them correctly on the stage? Remember, all three movies are up at the same time, two menus and an animation in the middle.

Left_Menu Animation Right_Menu

I originally created the three movies, and placed them in a TABLE with 3 cols, but the client does not want the two menus appearing before the animation starts in the middle. So I figured the best way to do this is bring all three into one movie, and put a pre-loader on it.

Thanks for the replies!

-Tim