A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Should I Give it a Shot?

Just a quick question.

I am considering doing a little Flash work for some side money but I'm really not sure if I am at the freelancer skill level yet. I really haven't had any design classes, so I don't know if I am on the right design mindset. I started working with Flash/html at the beginning of this year. Just started making music a month or so ago.

I was just wondering if some of you pro Flashers out there would check my work and let me know if I should even try Freelance work yet. If not, could you let me know what I need to improve upon.

This isn't meant as a sitecheck. I am just trying to get an idea of my skill level in the eyes of proffessional developers and budding pros as the board description states.

Site | Music

- Matt
    [Edited by calpomatt on 08-20-2001 at 12:12 AM]

You should contact some larger companies and see if you can get a bit of part-time work...
    Your folio looks as though it needs more commercial examples... see if you can do some commercial work to add to your portfolio even if its its for your uncles lawn mowing business (or whatever!)

Nice work in the portfolio!

.02 from a "budding pro"---
    from a Flashwork standpoint, I think it's great!!! Sure, you could link to some "regular" type of commercial site examples, but the interface is definitely a strong point-I'd say make up a handful of everyday sites and hit people with it. Great dimensional work--I hope I come up with something that cool soon.

BT

Heaven is made
    of 1's and 0's
    Hey - if you can get paid to do anything.. Do it!! Who cares what we think.

Two rules in Freelance.

#1 - Make sure the CLIENT is happy.
    #2 - Make sure the client PAYS.

All else means nothing..
    (for the most part).

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll definately throw together some commercial sites.
    Would that site that I have linked be a good site to use for promotion? I would probably change the text on the 'profile' section to a more proffessional page describing the services/pricing.

- Matt

I dont know if you'll read this since its five days late, but I am cerain you can do commercial work. Your site looks great and your artwork is well done. One point to think about is that you might consider if your interface on your home page is too subtle. People who are looking for smaller commercial sites may not be entirely flash literate, and as a result they may have trouble initially navigating. Sometimes I forget that what make a great deal of sense to someone who's always on the web doesn't make any sense to those that aren't. With your skill you will not have a problem getting work if you go looking. Great site.

Hey, thanks for the vote of confidence geekmedic. I am seriously considering doing some freelance type of work. I need some $$ I appreciate the comments on my site and artwork. Thanks man.

About the menu not being obvious, I changed that just a little while ago. It should be pretty obvious now. Hopefully.

- Matt