dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Flash clone file sizes

Anybody have any experiences they could share? At the high school where I teach, I have had quite a few students ask me about Flash "clones" lately, i.e., Swift, Koolmoves, or the new one (can't remember the name) that is now bundled with Corel Draw. Of course, these do not, from my own limited personal experience, have the full functionality and feature set - but with this post I am just addressing the issue of result file sizes, say, for fairly simple animations. The motivating factor, from a student's standpoint (and I might add that I respect the ones that avoid easily-accessible pirate Flash) is, of course, cost: the clones are very cheaply priced. That's great, and I encourage them to get into it, also for the reason that the learning curve is a bit easier as well... BUT, taking a closer look, it seems like some of these bloat the swf. file size, which naturally is just going to make the resultant creative product that less desirable for online use. Any comments, experiences, insights?...

swish v2

although i don't use swish v2, i must say that i have experimented with the 15 day tryout version and found the swf files it generates to be very economical.
    dunno if that helps..

(i am thinking about buying it cos its also quite powerful and very good value for the money).

Heaven is made
    of 1's and 0's
    I hear it is good for simple animations and stuff without all the actionscript drama. Also - I hear they are good with text effects.

thanks for the feedback so far. I haven't had a chance to look at any stuff made with Swish yet, but the other day I was given a disk that had some swf's made in the Corel knock off, and they were about 3 or 4 times heavier than they should have been, which I really did'nt understand, and couldn't explain to the student, either. Needless to say, this is not my area of expertise, but I like to see the students getting into animation skills and discovering the wonders of scalable graphics. I'll have to try Swish for myself when I get a chance...

SWiSHer extraordinaire
    Originally posted by Robert99
    thanks for the feedback so far. I haven't had a chance to look at any stuff made with Swish yet, but the other day I was given a disk that had some swf's made in the Corel knock off, and they were about 3 or 4 times heavier than they should have been, which I really did'nt understand, and couldn't explain to the student, either. Needless to say, this is not my area of expertise, but I like to see the students getting into animation skills and discovering the wonders of scalable graphics. I'll have to try Swish for myself when I get a chance...
    Would you be able to send me the SWF files that you are talking aobut (that are heavier then you expect). I'd be interseted to see if importing them into SWISH and then exporting will shrnk them.

Certainly had the case a couple of weeks ago when someone decided to post a SWF they'd made in Flash asking "Can SWiSH do this?" .. it was well able to do the exactl same thing, but 60% smaller SWF size than the Flash versions. Then I tried importing the Flash-generated SWF into SWiSH and then exporting and again got a 60% reduction .. that is due to SWiSH's internal SWF file optimisation.

As I said .. I'd be interested to see if SWISH can have the same results with the examples you mentioned (all depends on what is in them .. as actions and sound get stripped on import).

re: last post

sorry, I gave the disk back and didn't keep them. But I did find some interesting info in the interim. That Corel clone is called Rave, and is bundled with Corel Draw - outputs swf. But according to some articles I've come across, Rave puts out bloated swfs, way bigger than they should be. This was the program that was used to make those heavy swf's I referred to, so I for one can attest to that obvious weak point of the program. You can find some stuff on this at Flashmagazine.com I guess it would be somewhat interesting to see if SWISH could optimize bloated RAVE swf's, although probably the best thing would be to just forget about using RAVE. I suppose the only attraction of it is that it's free (bundled with Draw/Paint) Sounds like (from what you are saying) SWISH is far superior. In fact, if it can actually put out smaller swf's than Flash itself, that would be pretty amazing. I've gotta try out that SWISH when I have a chance...

SWiSHer extraordinaire

Re: re: last post

Originally posted by Robert99
    sorry, I gave the disk back and didn't keep them. But I did find some interesting info in the interim. That Corel clone is called Rave, and is bundled with Corel Draw - outputs swf. But according to some articles I've come across, Rave puts out bloated swfs, way bigger than they should be. This was the program that was used to make those heavy swf's I referred to, so I for one can attest to that obvious weak point of the program. You can find some stuff on this at Flashmagazine.com I guess it would be somewhat interesting to see if SWISH could optimize bloated RAVE swf's, although probably the best thing would be to just forget about using RAVE. I suppose the only attraction of it is that it's free (bundled with Draw/Paint) Sounds like (from what you are saying) SWISH is far superior. In fact, if it can actually put out smaller swf's than Flash itself, that would be pretty amazing. I've gotta try out that SWISH when I have a chance...
    For the equivalent file, Flash can generate a file about the same size as SWiSH .. if you put the work into making instances of things all things that are the same etc. it can be a lot of work .. SWiSH finds all like object and exports them as symbols and instances etc automatically. Also it does a few other little things that can shave off a few bytes here and there.

However, Flash can produce shorter files in many caes by doing things with ActionScript instead of using frame/tween based animation. But its not always smaller and not always better that way. it depends on what you are doing and how complex the action-script has to be ... you may find that the ActionScript code to animate a few frame is much more that simply using simple frames and tweening.

doesnt adobe have some thing called live motion, seen the interface looks alot like after effect if you ask me, but i doubt it has the action script capabilitys as yet but i cant say i have checked it out. if you ask me though i think macromedia have cornered the market, and unless some one comes out with an application that can piss all over flash (which as yet dont thnik it can be) then flash will remain the industry standard

swish v2

do i get a free copy of swish v2 because of my glowing comment on it?

swish v2

hmm suppose not then
    well, it was worth a try .hehe.