dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Suggestions for BETTER eLance

Heaven is made
    of 1's and 0's
    This is actually a project I decided to do for business class, and I am supposed to think of ways my new ficticious business will be better than the present competition. Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated!!

I have been reading a few threads on there about making sites similar to eLance, and so forth. I am curious as to what other would do to make it better. Or what do you perceive as problems using elance?

Obviously the site would need to generate revenue in order to run.. so I am curious as to how you would go about doing that.

What I would do:

+ Charge an annual fee, rather than the $25 p/mo.

+ Have the person offering work specify a maximum amount of bids per prject. (like an option) 5 10 15

+ Make the winning bid pay a small percentage. Perhaps a smaller percentage if the bidder puts site links on this personal site??

+ Work closer with companies and users to try to ensure ALL get work, rather than TONS of people fighting over one job

+ Weed out lame people bidding obnoxious amounts..
    [Edited by Eyenovation on 08-21-2001 at 12:28 AM]

Personally, I don't agree with an annual or a monthly fee. No, i'm not cheap, I just think it's silly to have to pay to look for work on a job board. A fee subtracted from the accepted contract is a good idea. A small percentage of the final bid.

And I also think, as a job board there should be real-life recruiters that help match a developer with a client. If you've ever worked with Aquent you would know what I mean. The recruiters would simply be assigned developers and they would help to match them to contracts. Obviously that could end up being a fulltime job, but maybe you offer free job search and bidding, the personalized recruitment officers could be hired for a small fee. That way you can still browse for free, but you can obtain help for a service fee.

Heaven is made
    of 1's and 0's
    Originally posted by [-S|NiStEr_MiNd-]
    Personally, I don't agree with an annual or a monthly fee. No, i'm not cheap, I just think it's silly to have to pay to look for work on a job board. A fee subtracted from the accepted contract is a good idea. A small percentage of the final bid.
    You would not have to pay for looking at the jobs.. just pay to register in order to be able to bid. That is how elance does it, however - they charge $25 p/mo.

Originally posted by [-S|NiStEr_MiNd-]

And I also think, as a job board there should be real-life recruiters that help match a developer with a client. If you've ever worked with Aquent you would know what I mean. The recruiters would simply be assigned developers and they would help to match them to contracts. Obviously that could end up being a fulltime job, but maybe you offer free job search and bidding, the personalized recruitment officers could be hired for a small fee. That way you can still browse for free, but you can obtain help for a service fee.
    So are you suggesting a staff that matches clients and providers based on taletns, needs, and experience, budget and so forth?

Would that not prohibit the small time designer from ever breaking into the big time? Or..

Perhaps you can elaborate on this..

No, I simply mean that when a job seeker signs up, they can request the help of a recruitment officer. They would be assigned to one and that person would work with them to help place them in a job or contract.

It wouldn't matter whether you were the greatest designer or an up-and-coming one, the recruiter would act as a guide.

Heaven is made
    of 1's and 0's
    Yeah - that could work. Interesting idea. Anyone else?