A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: controlling a movie from a loaded movie... help! please

Arrow

ok. here's the problem... I have two movies one called (player.swf) and the other called (listing.swf)

in player.swf you press a button and it "loads movie" listing.swf to level 1, then when listing.swf ends, I want it to, "unload" itself and tell player.swf to goto(insert frame number)

how can this be done? if I'm not explaining it well, I can send example... I need help as soon as possible. thank you

Ken
    doo_wrong@yahoo.com

I'd try inserting some Actionscript into the last frame of listing.swf to unload itself. I've done this in the past, but don't have any examples to hand. I think I used the dot syntax to refer to the movie in level1. Something like _root.unloadmovie();

Originally posted by N.A.Stairmand
    I'd try inserting some Actionscript into the last frame of listing.swf to unload itself. I've done this in the past, but don't have any examples to hand. I think I used the dot syntax to refer to the movie in level1. Something like _root.unloadmovie();
    Thanks for replying, but, I've got the unloading of the movie working, I can't figure out how to get the other file to advance a frame.

here's an order of the movies:

PLAYER.SWF [frame 1] -> click button -> LISTING.SWF (loads on level 1) LISTING.SWF is a 1.5 minute clip -> after the 1.5 minutes is up LISTING.SWF unloads and PLAYER.SWF advances one frame [frame 2]

does that clarify?

thank you for writing, please help.

Ken

How about inserting something like _root.Play(); just before the script that you're using to unload the movie?

If not, try _level0.Play();

Sorry, I can't be more specific, I haven't done any Actionscripting for about 6 months - been quite fortunate on the job front! I can't even check, since I haven't got Flash on this machine. If you can't get it working, I'll take a look at some of my old fla's and send you an example.

you are a genius, that worked - _level0.Play(); - thank you SO much. do you recommend any books on Actionscripting?

Ken

How about inserting something like _root.Play(); just before the script that you're using to unload the movie?

If not, try _level0.Play();

Sorry, I can't be more specific, I haven't done any Actionscripting for about 6 months - been quite fortunate on the job front! I can't even check, since I haven't got Flash on this machine. If you can't get it working, I'll take a look at some of my old fla's and send you an example.

You're too kind!

As for books on Actionscripting - I haven't seen any really good ones. There are hundreds of Flash books that are suitable for beginners but if anyone knows of any decent Advanced Actionscripting books I'd like one too.

Currently I use 3 main resources, in the following order:

1) Flashkit - someone here always has an answer;
    2) Actionscript Reference book that ships with Flash 5 - long and boring, but it's all in there;
    3) Macromedia's support pages - there are loads of tutorials.

I've never bothered with anything else - usually I don't need to go beyond Flashkit!

Re: Careful

Remember guys that referring to objects in this way is only supported by flash 5 (dot operators).

You may be better using Tell Target. As this will then be cross compatible. Otherwise you'll to handle previous versions.

Good luck ;o)

Dave

Re: Re: Careful

Dave. TellTarget doesn't work, I tried that before I posted here,... unless of course you know how to make it work?

Ken

Originally posted by dave_forrest
    Remember guys that referring to objects in this way is only supported by flash 5 (dot operators).

You may be better using Tell Target. As this will then be cross compatible. Otherwise you'll to handle previous versions.

Good luck ;o)

Dave

Smile Do it b4

The good news is that I've done this b4. successfully.

The bad news is that is was a while ago. And I don't have access to a machine with flash.

But, if the following isn't correct then I will investigate and post later when I get home.

OK.

So basically what you were wanting was to pause a parent movie while the child plays, then restart the parent movie.

Thinking about it, there could be some difficultly using tell target. Cause if I remember rightly then tell target can't back reference to its root. This you'll/i'll check l8r.

From working with flash 4 quite a lot, previous to using flash 5. most navigation is possible from both. But Flash 5 is far eaiser. I'll get back to you later.

book suggestion

You're too kind!

As for books on Actionscripting - I haven't seen any really good ones. There are hundreds of Flash books that are suitable for beginners but if anyone knows of any decent Advanced Actionscripting books I'd like one too.

I use Actionscripting in FLASH by Phillip Kerman and published by Sam's publishing.. It's for intermediate to Advanced users and has a TON of info and syntax info.

Re: book suggestion

Thanks for the kind words about my book (ActionScripting in FLASH)... you can read full sample chapters and download all the workshops at:
    http://www.phillipkerman.com/actionscripting

Phillip

5 or not to 5

Yes,

I had a look at the flash 4 issue yesterday. I did manage to get it to work in both. Although there was some messy methods involved.

In conclusion, I can only suggest that you stick with the flash 5 solution and make sure you detect version to ensure proper execution.

Dave F

Re: Re: book suggestion

Originally posted by pkerman

Thanks for the kind words about my book (ActionScripting in FLASH)... you can read full sample chapters and download all the workshops at:
    http://www.phillipkerman.com/actionscripting

Phillip
    Hello! I had no idea that you visited this site.... :0| not too bright of me huh? why on earth would phillip kerman (author of ACTIONSCRIPTING in FLASH) come to a FLASH site? DUH!?!? anyway, no problem on the kind words, i'm having wayt too much fun now that i am learning the actual inner workings of flash. Thank you for writing the book as well as you did. Hope you write more of them.