A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Cutting up a Graphic - Please Help

Hey guys. I need to know how to cut up a vector graphic in flash into 5 equal peices.

Basically, I have a long verticle rectangle vector graphic. It was originally a bitmap but I traced it so now its a vector.

It is 250 pixels wide. I need to cut it up into 5 equal parts- each 50 pixels wide. How do I do this exactly? They all have to be EXACTLY 50 pixels wide for an effect im doing.

Also, does anyone know how to cut up graphics in equal peices in Fireworks? I appreciate the help.

well,

i don't know any quick solution but what if you use rulers/grid and draw guides and then break up the graphic. then zoom in as much as possible to make sure you can select exactly the 50x50 area and after it's selected just make that part as it own instance.. really crappy way to do it but handelss tha case ..

this kind of selct cut thing would be very usefull..
    let's call to macromedia... hehe

try making 5 individual graphics (squares) and sticking them where you want them... or take them into fireworks and create slices...email me, and i will give you a run down on how to do slices in fireworks if you would like hope i was of some help.

Jeff

Thanks guys. I know how to do slices in fireworks, but not slicing by a specific number of pixels know what I mean? It just irks me that there is no tool that will allow you to cut a specific area of an image defined by a number of pixels. You just have to guess it out? That sucks
    I think jmdesigns idea will work, if i just create 5 squares 50 pixels each.

How I do it

What I do when I want to cut an image into equal bits is to create a square in flash with the exact dimensions I want to use. Then remove the fill. You're left with the outline which is the right size. Now just line it up against the edge of the first section. Create copies of the box and line them up next to each other. You can even use the lining tool to get it exact. Then you just move the new fill (the bit of the image you cut) out of the way.

Hope that helps some...