A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Maintain line width...where is it?

A great feature that came out during testing stages was "maintain line width" on a shape. I cant find it now...anyone know where it is? And does it maintain during effects or just resizing?

In the shape panel. At the bottom.

Taper Boy for the Prophets of the Funk
    harvey...you made me go look it's when you have the shape / line tool selected...but it's in the transform panel at the bottom....not the shape panel...

Originally posted by persaltier
    harvey...you made me go look it's when you have the shape / line tool selected...but it's in the transform panel at the bottom....not the shape panel...
    Its not there on mine on the shape or transform panel. What exactly does it say? Maintain line width?

UNified
    Originally posted by Xcel
    Originally posted by persaltier
    Its not there on mine on the shape or transform panel. What exactly does it say? Maintain line width?
    Yes, with a check box beside it

Whats the purpose

A great feature that came out during testing stages was "maintain line width" on a shape. I cant find it now...anyone know where it is? And does it maintain during effects or just resizing?
    Stupid Question I quess,

but what is the purpose of this function??

Ken

Re: Whats the purpose

Originally posted by county advertiser
    Stupid Question I quess,

Ken
    It is partical when you are scaling objects.

Example:

1.Draw a smal circl about 10pix by 10pix
    2.Make sure the maintain line box is unchecked
    3.Scale the circle to 300pix by 300pix
    (notice the line on the edge of the circle gets really fat)

Now...

1.Draw the same circle once again about 10pix by 10pix
    2.Now make sure the maintain line box is checked
    3.Scale the circle to 300pix by 300pix...

(now the line on the outside of the circle maintains the same width as when it was only 10 by 10)

This feature is extremely usefull when creating any sort of animation.

L8ER

Tryple 8

SWiSHer extraordinaire

Re: Whats the purpose

Lets say you've just drawn a rectangle with a 5 pixel border, but you want it to be bigger.

If you simply grab a corner and stretch it, it will get scaled to be bigger .. but that will also increase the width of the lines, and the Transform Panel will show that the object now has a (say) 150% scale factor.

If instead you turn on the maintain line widths checkbox, when you drag it out, it actually makes the rectangle bigger (rather than scaling it) and the line widths stay the same and the Transform Panel will show the object is bigger but still has a 100% scale factor.

Its equivalent to using the reshape tool to move the corners of the rectangle to make it bigger.

Re: Re: Whats the purpose

Originally posted by roger_onslow

Lets say you've just drawn a rectangle with a 5 pixel border, but you want it to be bigger.

If you simply grab a corner and stretch it, it will get scaled to be bigger .. but that will also increase the width of the lines, and the Transform Panel will show that the object now has a (say) 150% scale factor.

If instead you turn on the maintain line widths checkbox, when you drag it out, it actually makes the rectangle bigger (rather than scaling it) and the line widths stay the same and the Transform Panel will show the object is bigger but still has a 100% scale factor.

Its equivalent to using the reshape tool to move the corners of the rectangle to make it bigger.
    Thanks a bunch. Your explanations are very simple to understand and make this program all the more easier to use. Thanks again.

Ken

I found it. It wouldnt appear I think because I had already applied an effect to the shape. It will not work throughout effects though...only in the drawing stages. Too bad cause thats what I needed it for.

Still a great little trick though.