A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Wallpaper. :: rate me ::

This is my first wallpaper. Check it out. Tel me what you think.

-Mettes (koen.mertens)

kind of interesting but I can't really see what any one part of the graphic has to do with anything else. 1 or 2 interesting graphic areas in there, but all mixed together I don't really see a relation between them or reason for them to be that way. Just my opinion though.

Also, I don't know of any monitors that size.

Wallpapers are pretty much always made to apply to different screen resolutions:
    800x600
    1024x768
    1280x1024
    1600x1200

Your's looks like a square, and it's either going to be centered on a screen, which won't be a full wallpaper, or it's going to be stretched, which is going to distort it.

mg33

I know about screen res. It's more like an expirement on a site I'm working on. Not really a wallpaper. Now that you mention it, I see where you're getting at by saying that some elements don't really fit together.
    Didn't notice it before. TNX
    But I just started doin' something -something wallpaperish (?)- and came up with this.
    For a first time, I hope it's not that bad...

-Mettes

Heaven is made
    of 1's and 0's
    Frankly, in my opinion - it is AWESOME. I would say the only thing that does not belong is the shape at the top right. Other than that - I would say everything flows well together.

You seem to have a cetralized subject with items surrounding it which is cool. I for one, dig it!

Great work.

Tnx man. I like it too although there's a lot of work to be done before I can create real stunning wallpaperish things but I think it's a good start.

I'm also working on a logo at this moment, something totally different. Any comments?

The red panels will contain some text which will be added later...

-Mettes

Large Member
    it's not as bad as that moderator said.

Thanks guys! I appreciate the remarks!
    Anyone else?

-Mettes

Jookbox,

Please re-read my post, I don't think I said anywhere that the image was bad. Rather, I gave constructive criticism on the elements used in the image, and how it could be improved, especially in regards to the size of it and how it isn't yet a proper wallpaper.

It also seems that Kay D. agreed with me on my remarks about the elements not fitting, thus proving that the constructive criticism was seen as such, and therefore not taking as suggesting the image is bad.

No worries by me posting this response, I just don't like my words getting confused as something they're not.

mg33

So you really do think Mandingo is good name for boys?

Nice pic you got there. If you want some more criticism, goto the art forum at http://www.endeffect.com , I've been there a bit lately, and gotten some ideas from the people there.

Mg33, re-viewing the wallpaperish thing I did, I indeed found some aspects of it that didn't really match. If it isn't perfect (which it never is...) criticism always is constructive (if it's brought 'nicely' ) That's why I like realism above dream... If you catch my drift...
    I'm a big guy, I can take some criticism (otherwise I wouldn't ask!). Although it may be taken wrong by some people, it always helps.
    This doesn't mean that nice things can't be said! It's always good to here someone liking your stuff. That's why I love these boards... Some positive, some "negative" thoughts!
    If you think about it, positive things can only praise, negative can construct!
    Jookbox, thanks for the support!!
    All you guys, thanks for the reactions!!

-Mettes

Ambassador of Style
    Kay D: You have a good attitude. The best designers are never happy with their work - and love critisism equally as much as praise. I honestly look forward to critisism. Not only does it force to to rethink your design in another perspective - it gives to the desire to do better. If everyone praised your work - you would become complaicent - and would never be the best you could be.

My thoughts on the wallpaper are:

The shape of the center "item" seems to go against the circular flow of the spiral. It's offset by the length and the item placed at the top-right though. The left side bugs me most actually. The lower left - and how the lines and faded "swooshes" go seem to flow against the motion you have created - flowing left to right. The upper-left bugs me because there is too much of the gridpaper-blueprint thing. It's too prominent and looks out of place. Consider knocking it back some.

-A02