A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: defrag the harddrive?!?

i have come across the weirdest thing i have ever seen a computer do... i go to run the system defrager to get my system cleaned up and my system defrager just sits there and does nothing... meaning, my defrager isnt working, what would you guys suggest i do?!? any help would be great

Jeff

Senior Moderator ®
    FK´s Banning Machine ™
    Maybe its corupt . You know that defrag can take a looong time ? Sure .

Tip : Run Dos , type Format C:\
    [Edited by GmF on 08-23-2001 at 03:34 PM]

yeah, i know it takes a ton of time, but i can turn it on and an hour later, no progress has been made on the little progress bar.... now what do you mean by corrupt?@? that dont sound good

Jeff

nice try, i aint gonna format my C: drive

I had the same problem....what you do is start the computer in the safe mode and then set it to defrag....there are a lot of background applications running which restart/freeze your defrag in the normal mode.
    The safe mode ensures that windoze loads with a minimal set of drivers and nothing interferes with the defrag process....
    If that doesn't work you need to reinstall windows

Cheers,
    A.

I plan to live forever or die trying
    sometimes you need to run scandisk first.
    Also, make sure you close any other running programs, and disable your screensaver.

Smile

I've had similar problem with my 8GB HD. I had Windows 98 at the moment and everytime I would run Defrag, it was just like defrag for like 3% then reset. I didn't know what to do and one day I was looking at some files on teacher's shared directory at college and found the answer. It said if it doesn't work, just start your computer up in Safe Mode and run it again. I did and it worked but it took a bloody day & a bit to defrag my HD. I am not joking! It must be because I've got a P200 with 64MB RAM.

I also get a similar problem with ScanDisk, but I just reboot to DOS & run ScanDisk there & it works. I should try it with Defrag.

this is gonna sound ignorant, u used to be able to start in safe mode pretty easy, but i cant figure out for the life of me how to do it ... so, please tell me how to do that

Jeff

man, i must sound dumber than a box of rocks

To start in the Safe mode....you need to keep pressing F8 as soon as the boot screen (the one with all your hard disk info and the tables) flashes ....this will lead you to a menu with different options like:

1. Normal Mode
    2. Logged
    3. Safe mode
    4. Step by step config
    ...etc

You need to press the corresponding number for the safe mode ....normally 3 ....and presto.....you'll see a ghastly display since the safe mode has only 256 colours. . You can then commence the defrag.
    Hope this helps....

Cheers,
    A.

thanks... i will give it a whirl tonight when i get home

Jeff