A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Need to make seemless organic movement

I've noticed a lot of fla's have a nice, seamless organic feel to them, like bouncing, or free float, or gradual movement. How do I achieve this without the choppyness of keyframing????

well i'm not sure exactly what u mean. maybe u could put a link up.
    but one was is by using tweening

Let me explain

I know about tweening, what I meant was to achieve the effect of something perhaps bouncing. For example, to make an object go up and down, you obviously put in the keyframes of the designated coordinates in the canvas, then add a motion tween between the key frames, but the object just makes a dead stop at the top, then just drops. I want to put the illusion of actual gravity being effected upon the object, just a smooth motion, with out any "dead stops"

Thanx for replying!!!!!!!

RayRay,
    In this case, I think what you're going to want to do is either add more keyframes along an arcing path, or better would be to make a motion path in the shape of an arc and tween your object along that. Using this motion path you can then add more or fewer keyframes along the path to slow down/speed up motion and give the illusion of weight. If you still have problems, you can e-mail me and I'll try to walk you through.

Change the fps setting in your main timeline,

for anime, try 20fps instead of the default 12fps..

This will make everything much more smoother

hope this helps!

Smile You Rock!!!!

Thanx so much for your help!!!!!!!

Ray

Happy to help a fellow Brooklynite.

I find that you can also use the easing in/out feature on a motion tween to get a good bouncing effect.

Does anyone know if this is a good way to do it or is it a performance hog compared to keyframing?

I don't think that the motion tweens are a performance hog (shape tweens are more processor-intensive than motion, I believe).
    I mention Keyframing because you'll almost definately want to have some sort of squash and stretch on the object you're moving - here's a sample animation of a bouncing ball I did all keyframes - no motion path or shape tweens - 1.7 kb

[swf width="200" height="180" background="#FFFFFF"]http://www.geocities.com/neutrinodesign/ball.swf[/swf]

I did a little playing around, and tried to make a bouncing ball that has a realistic feel to it using tweening. To get the movement, I used the easing function. I'm still a newbie, but this was a good lesson to learn a new technique!

http://www.proppeople.com/flash/Bouncing_Ball.swf

I tried desperately to embed the file like CNO did, but cannot figure it out. How do you do it when the HTML code is off???

propboy.

Damn. One time I could have helped out and you guys beat me too it. Nice to see some basic animation princibles being put to use in Flash.

TwoPossums