A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: About Freehand & Photoshop

Hello,

I’ve just started using freehand 10, and I wanted to export my work in to Photoshop 6. But I kinda came to a problem that I can’t seem to figure out.

You see I have been using Layers in Freehand, and when I take it over to Photoshop it just becomes one whole image.

How do I export it to Photoshop with all the layers available?

Hope someone can help me, Thank you very much.

Mik

I don't use Freehand but I expect you'll have to save your file in a format the keeps the layers (ie. .psd). Some file formats compress all the layers when it's saved.
    -Brian

I have tried PSD format but it was still the same. I have also tried many of the other formats available, but still the same. Thanks for the help.

does anyone know that the format is?

Because two products are from different manufacturer, Adobe and Macromedia. If you use Macromedia Freehand, all the vector layers will be retained when transfer to their other products; fireworks, flash 5, etc..

If you used Adobe Illustrator, the vector layers can be retained for tansfer to Photoshop, Livemotion and others.

Although the files can be ported from each other or vice versa. Things doesn't seems to work as you want it to be because Macromedia and Adobe are fighting each other for supremacy.

Adobe vs Macromedia, Round 1 fight!

DOH!!!
    Er, ok which is better then? Freehand or Illustrator?
    Thanks for the tip.

I haven't used freehand 10 but I know in 9 if you go to export a file into psd format and you click on setup there is an option to keep the layers intact. As for which is better freehand or illustrator, it's hard to say. Some people prefer illustrator some prefer freehand. I like the wy illustrator handles it's bezier curves a little better but if your comfortable with freehand then by all means use it. Keep in mind that most places use illustrator so career wise it might be smart to learn illustrator. If the psd thing doesn't work you could always export each layer as a seperate generic eps and then import them into photoshop.

Oh right, it's in the Setup. Wonder why I never tried that before? Wow that helps me a lot. Hmm, if illustrator is like an organisational standard app then I'll jump over to illustrator 9 and see if that’s better.

Well since I'm pretty new right now to freehand and illustrator, I wonder if I could ask one more fav. Is there a good site dedicated to freehand or illustrator? Just like FlashKit is dedicated to Flasher with tutorials, message board etc. just that I cant seem to find a good one.

Thanks very much for the help.

try http://www.freehandsource.com/for freehand, I don't know of any for illustrator though I suppose you could look on adobe's website.