dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Before senior members yell....

OK, if my subject got your attention I'm glad, b/c 1 - I really do need help and 2 - I honestly empathize with all the experienced flashers on this board that answer the same question over and over, because "newbies" are not searching the boards before posting. This board is better than any class I ever took. With that said....I did look up how to create preloaders and used FOUR different tutorials before I found one that I could understand and that worked for me. Being new, some of the advanced stuff was WAY over my head. I built a percentage pre-loader and when published the dynamic text actually appears and is not hidden. You can see "total_bytes" "loaded_bytes" etc. Also, the second part to my post is how can I actually view my site the way a new person logging onto the site for the first time sees it? I erase my cache before I click on it, but I know it is loading WAY to quick. If anyone cares to know the tutorial I followed it is: www.actionscripts.org/tutorials/intermediate/flash5_preloaders/index.shtml
    I know this tutorial isn't from this site, but I found the link here and it was one of the easier percentage preloaders, BUT no one wants a "newbie" to email specific questions to them when things don't work, they want things posted. It is frustrating to answer the same question dozens of time, but I think that's why we have a section for newbies, because they really don't know the way around yet. OK fingers are tired...sorry I was so long winded..
    - tired nervous newbie

is your only question how to test the loading speed? you can do it in flash as long as you dont load external .swf's, click control->test movie to test your movie, then click debug-> and then pick a speed. now hit ctrl-enter to restart your movie with the bandwidth profiler running. um, by the way, this was a pretty legit question.

No such thing as a stupid question, unless its a stupid question

Demonnac
    Hey man, I admit it myself, I'm all too confused with preloaders, I never really understood them, if maybe one of your guys with the knowledge in it could give me a few hints or possibly some first hand tutorials, cause I"m interested inmaking a neat preloader, I would really appreciate this.

Thanks.

James

dynamic text field

Ok, let me ask this. What is a dynamic text field? I think that is where 1 of my problems is. If I were going to "insert a dynamic text field" into frame one on a layer how would I do that?

Demonnac
    I think a DYnamic Text Field is a text field of any sort, but with distinct unique text that you choose. correct me if I'm wrong guys?

Peace!

a dynamic text field is a specific type of text box(as opposed to static and input) which allows among other things the ability to load its content from a variable. this is why it is used in preloaders. you can change a static(defualt) to a dynamic from the text options panel.

newbiecomments

I would like to respond to your comments about newbies, I am someone also that searches out things for myself first. The thing is, you can be SO new at a subject ...when the learning curve is straight up, that you dont know the lingo yet, I find sometimes, I am unsure where to search, or what the problem is , anyway, I am with you about this site, and think its GREAT, and appreciate the people answering questions, I read alot of other peoples questions and answers and learn much this way..
    Thanks again
    Tator