A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Flash sound

im havin a bit of trouble with music imade in fruity loops. In fruity loops it looped perfectly into the beginning agian. now in flash, i can get it to loop, but there is a time delay between the end and the beginning which didnt occur in fruity loops. my second problem is, i want the music to start playing instantly when i start the page. But i also want to give the user the choice to stop that music if they dont want it, and to start it back up again if they want it again, with 2 seperate buttons. i've been experimenting with this and ending up with no luck, so please write back.

P.S. - Remember, im just a n00b

As for playing the sound when the user loads the page, simply place the sound in the first frame of your animation. Now, create a button and give it the following actions:

on (release) {
    stopAllSounds ();
    }

Now, create a second button and in the "Down" state of that button, drag and drop the desired loop onto the stage.

Arrow loop

Well i got that part now, but is there n e reason y it wont loop like it does in fruity loops?

what method are you using to loop it?

i have had the same problem with making mp3's in acid dj pro 2 and the reason why it does this is because the mp3 compression upon leaving fruity loops is too high....can you control the amount of compression in fruityloops or is it set automatically?....if not try to mess around with the compression rate in flash...im sure that after a bit of experimentation you should get the music and the length of the sound to line up....OR you can just edit the sound in flash and cut the end of the dead air off the end of your loop....hope this helps...psycho

I am using the method taht BillaBong posted

what i meant was, how are you makin it loop, are you settings loops on the instance panel or are you doing it manually with a goto and play type method?

In fruity loops it looped perfectly into the beginning agian. now in flash, i can get

did you understand what i am talking about?

psycho i thikn i understand what you are talking about, as for amaladine, i am just going to the Sound panel and put 999 for the loop.

Funny you should mention this---I just went through a similar problem, and fixed it. Here's what happened: I made some loops in Pro Tools at 120bpm. I used them in an audio mixer type of movie where you have individual volume controls for the different loops. All played back seamlessly. I then made new loops at a different tempo, and they glitched as you described. I ended up discovering that the 120bpm loops, when measured in seconds, were a whole number in length, while my new ones that glitched measured 5.333 seconds. So I applied time compression to get them at an even 5.0 seconds, and MUCH JOY-seamless loops.
    My theory was that Flash tries to round off the time to the next second when confronted with fractional times, and I could be wrong, but that sure fixed it.

Here's another factor: I originally converted the loops to mp3's in Pro Tools, with the converter from Fraunhofer, and while the Pro Tools soundfiles measured exactly 5.0 seconds (a whole number), the resultant mp3's were 5.1 seconds, according to the info window in Flash, and they still glitched. So, I brought the loops as .aiff files from PT into Flash, and let Flash do the
    conversion upon publishing. Again, apparently the loop length must equal a nice whole number of seconds to work seamlessly.

Now I'm happy as hell and am actually moving forward!

Bryan T

ok, i understand what you did, i just dont understand how you do it. i dont understand the whole time compression thing.

It's a utility in Pro Tools-I don't know anything about FruityLoops. I understand that Sonic Foundry's Acid is tops for doing that sort of stuff...all I really am familiar with are Pro Tools, LogicAudio and Vision.

If you want to download Pro Tools Free, I'll be happy to help you-it will import/export several file formats and isn't difficult to use. http://www.digidesign.com

Bryan T

well i took into consideration using Pro Tools free, but my computer doesnt meet its system specs. so i guess im sol? well n e help would be awesome at this point lol

SUCCESS! i finally figured it out. There is an option in the save as pop up box. There is an option that says Looping Mode. Go to it and choose Cut remainder. That will keep a good loop. This is just for the people who use it and want to know...well thx everyone.

Sure thing. Are your loops playing back okay?

Yes they are looping perfectly. Thanks again guys.