A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Newbie Q, positioning elements.

Hybrid View

Hi, as a relative newcomer to Flash( excellent prog.) I have been amused, puzzled, and finally irritated to hell and back by trying to place objects in a fixed location in a flash movie.
    This is how the story goes, and please try to stick with me since this isn't my first time trying to explain this to folks, and they don't understand what I am trying to say .
    I have made a flash movie and embedded in my HTML in the correct fashion. I then added a frameset so that the swf would be displayed at 100% of the screen size. Fine so far. I then wanted to make a background for the movie, and drew a large circle of which only part appeared on the stage to give a curved line filled with a different colour. This looked fine in Flash, but when I resize the browser window, I find that the circle jumps 'into' the window a lot more so I can see a lot more of it, and it looks like i just drew a circle.
    The same thing happens if I align text to the left or right hand side of the stage in flash. When I export the flash movie I find that the text is not aligned to the left or right of the browser window, and as I resize the window to various sizes the text, or object moves further from the side towards the center of the window.
    Is this the way it is, or am I doing something wrong. If it is me that is messing up, could someone let me know how to go about making my browser page look the same as the movie I build on the stage.

Thanks for reading this big ol' message, and any help would be appreciated.

JD (jdk@popmail.com)

Senior Moderator
    Defender of the Faith

Cool

You just need to change the setting of the movie from show all to exact fit. this should fix the problem. If you need help just send me the swf and I'll put it in the html for you so you can see what to do. Regards, Bill

------------------
    Macromedians 1:1

In the beginning the web was without shape and color, and the hype covered the darkness of the net. Then there was a Flash and life came to the web and vision became reality.
    <EMBED src="/cgi-bin/ubb/Members/sigs/00000100.swf" quality=high WIDTH=375 HEIGHT=75 TYPE="application/x-shockwave-flash" PLUGINSPAGE="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"> </EMBED>

Smile

Excellent, problem solved. Thanks a lot Pope de Flash!! Such a small thing had me tearing my hair out . Thanks again for the reply. It was highly appreciated.

Question

By the way Pope de Flash, do you mind me asking how you did the small spinning orange globe on your home page? (very nicely done site by the way ).

Senior Moderator
    Defender of the Faith

Cool

You could make one by using a 3D package and output the animation as just black and white frames. Then save each frame as a png and use an alpha channel so when you import the images on the land portion is kept. Trace each image and there you have it. Or you could wait until swift 3D comes out in a week and do it in about 3min. Regards, Bill

------------------
    Macromedians 1:1

In the beginning the web was without shape and color, and the hype covered the darkness of the net. Then there was a Flash and life came to the web and vision became reality.