A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Wallpaper. :: rate me ::

Wallpaper. :: rate me ::

Rate it please. And don't just come in to have a look! You dó have an opinion don't you?

-Mettes

I've edited the image so you can see how it looks on the splash page...
    [Edited by :: Kay D. :: on 09-02-2001 at 06:40 AM]

Okay, honest opinion: It's a bit gritty, a bit too blurry, a bit to difficult to tell certain areas apart.

That may, though, be due to what jpg quality setting you used when saving it. It may be much sharper on your computer.

That's just how I see it at the moment.

Good Luck with it,

mg33

Thanks, it's a bit where I'm going at. I'll let you know when the splash page is finished. Maybe then you'll see were I'm going at...
    Thanks for the criticism!

-Mettes

Wichser
    yo

looks aiight really. For my taste a slice too bright, but more it needs a certain spice.
    I don't want to say that it looks dull (it doesn't) but something that makes it more interesting, even another color, or something clearly and sharp defined 3D to the left of the image.

good job tho,

iCEBERG

Thanx for the replies guys! This is what I made of it. I said I was going to use it for a splash page...
    http://www.designweb.be

-Mettes

Looks good behind the flash graphics!

howdy

just checked the splash page out. I like the design and I like the image in the background. nice and clinical, but I agree with a previous comment that some hot details would be cool. eg: really hot orange or azure blue. have a play (it is Friday afternoon, afterall!)

Also, I thought that the navigation was a bit unclear when the splash loads. 'Click bottom button for...'- which one? where? I realised after a few seconds, but this is a detail.

I guess this is just a 'practice' page, as it took me to a second splash page?

anyway, mate. I really like the style. Good feeling of motion and dynamics. Just spice that little baby up a bit!

rock onnnnn

ps. there is something I really like in the left bit of the image. the blockiness. reminds me of http://www.rca.ac.uk in a way hmmmm

chillin like rrrrreally hard tijsch's Avatar
    it looks nice.....

maybe a little to blue...

but it's ok...

which program did you use?

grtzz

Originally posted by jhbiddle
    howdy

just checked the splash page out. I like the design and I like the image in the background. nice and clinical, but I agree with a previous comment that some hot details would be cool. eg: really hot orange or azure blue. have a play (it is Friday afternoon, afterall!)

Also, I thought that the navigation was a bit unclear when the splash loads. 'Click bottom button for...'- which one? where? I realised after a few seconds, but this is a detail.

I guess this is just a 'practice' page, as it took me to a second splash page?

anyway, mate. I really like the style. Good feeling of motion and dynamics. Just spice that little baby up a bit!

rock onnnnn

ps. there is something I really like in the left bit of the image. the blockiness. reminds me of http://www.rca.ac.uk in a way hmmmm
    Well, jhbiddle, this is going to be the new splash page of my new site (version 1.3). The splash page you saw was the old one, from version 1.0. The HTML version which is complete by the way (I mean it's not just a splash page).

And you're right 'bout the blockiness at http://www.rca.ac.uk but I don't think you can compare it to my splash page (anyways, I never heard of the site).

Thanks for the comment. Thanks a lot!

-Mettes

Originally posted by tijsch
    it looks nice.....

maybe a little to blue...

but it's ok...

which program did you use?

grtzz
    It's all done in Photoshop and Flash. I'll try if I can put some color into it. But if I can't make it work, I'm keeping it the way it is.

-Mettes

yeah

i think if you can keep the feeling of the dynamicism and kineticism (if that is a word. if not- then it is now) then you can make one of the best sites in the world. Perhaps even Belgium ;-)

But Seriously... (Phil Collins Album) you seem to have an eye and are doing a good job. But like me, don't forget to play and throw some random fire around.

rock onnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Ambassador of Style
    Hmmm... my only advice would be to use Flash a lot more in the BG image. In other words, more than half the elements in the photo (which are currently raster-based) could be taken out and then done in Flash - thus reducing your BG filesize and creating a criper, better looking image. Elements like the round-edged boxes, gridlines, and numbers coud all be vector based.

-A02

Agent02, thanks for the comment. I know I can do a lot of the elements in Flash. But that's also a bit more a time-consuming job than using an image that has it all in it! I don't have the time for doing that stuff right now (I'm a freelance designer with a lot of work, what can I say )
    Maybe I'll do that later but it isn't realy a big file to load so maybe I'll just leave it.
    I optimized the BG image with Xat Jpeg optimizer and it's only 17 kb. For a 750*450 image of that quality, I don't realy think it's a lot (and I don't think some minor modifications would reduce the jpg a lot)... Plus, there are a lot of effects you can't do with Flash that you can do with Photoshop so...
    (BTW if you want a transparency in Flash, you have to use alpha modification and that also makes the swf bigger, doesn't it?)

But again, thanks for the comment!

-Mettes

it looks good, but like some of the other people here have said it needs a little more... i'm not sure what the word is, construction maybe? It needs something to bring it together.

i really like the pixel to boxes thing on the left-hand side, that's cool

Ambassador of Style
    Heheheh!

Pixel boxes on left = Photoshop > Filters > Mosaic

-A02

Originally posted by AGENT 02
    Heheheh!

Pixel boxes on left = Photoshop > Filters > Mosaic

-A02
    Indeed...

-Mettes

Heaven is made
    of 1's and 0's
    Actually looks pretty solid to me. I would say the box on the left is too big, too bright, and takes away from the detail on the right. Perhaps that may be the hidden item people cant just seem to nail down.. ??

You realy got a good point there Eye. I'll experiment with a smaller, more "sofisticated" left part and I'll post it when I think it's ok. Thanks!

-Mettes

Heaven is made
    of 1's and 0's

No worries

Hey - no need to thank. Your work is good.
    I posted a wallpaper too, just to get some feedback on how I could improve as well.

Best of luck to you.