dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Your opinion...from a design perspective, a Flash site that scrolls?

Hi...just curious.....I'm working on a new site and I'm seriously considering making it scrollable.....

I thought the WDDG's brown version was extremely successful...and 2Advanced's latest scrolls in 800x600....

So, "design-wise" I was wondering what some of you thought...pro or con?

Thanks...

-pigghost-

Do you just want to do this because it's popular right now? I suppose you got into the tech look with the scan lines? Or will this fit in with the concept you are working on right now. I would imagine you are one of the Photoshop filter phoebs.

Hi phacker...not sure what a "Photoshop filter phoeb" is, but since I rarely use Photoshop, I guess I would have to say I'm not??

The site I'm working on is more of an informational site with quite a bit of text....

I thought 2Advanced's solution for different resolutions was particularly good...and allows for a familiar format since my market is not real familiar with Flash...so I could maintain a slightly "HTML" feel but with some of the niceties of Flash....

Plus I came up with an easy way of using javascript to jump around the page like an "HTML anchor"....I think it's what WDDG did on their site...

But I gather from your response, you don't think scrollable Flash sites are a good idea....fair enough...

Thanks for responding...

-pigghost-

Scrollable sites are fine if there is a good reason to do it, other than all the popular sites are doing it. Was just having a negative day yesterday. Sorry.

No problem.

-pg-

If we are taking horizontal scroll...the answer in a word is no.........that is *unless* you are using the scroll to present a gallery....which even then it's annoying.

If you are going to have images scroll themselves that's fine, as the unser won't need to go through the awkward wrist motion for horizontal scrolling themselves.

Concentrate on the *end user* and make the site as usable as humanly possible for them.

As far as fads....they come and go......don't fall for them........do the pre-development thinkiing and planning first.........don't do something *just because you can*, or just becuse it's popular.
    While yea *you* need to be happy with it...unless *you* alone will be using your site, you *must* always keep your users in mind first and foremost.

Ambassador of Style
    I think it's a very sound way to go as long as you have the amount of content to support it. WDDGs Maverick Records site is a perfect example of a scrollable flash site.

I'm not sure if it's really something that's trendy either. Sure - some sites are doing it, but I think it's for a reason - not to necessarily look "cool". The best thing I like about them is that you can count on all visitors seeing your site the same. Normally, people would use a popup - or force their design to fit withing certain dimensions.

-A02