A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: faint outline in png alpha channel

Does anyone know why or anyone know how to fix a faint outine of a png imported graphic with transparent parts when viewed 16 bit color?. It doesn't seem to asppear when using flash but once exported you can see it, I can post an example if anyone wants to see exactly what I mean. Anyways any direction would help

Stefan

Ambassador of Style
    What program did you use to create the PNG?

-A02

I used photoshop, I found a pseudo fix though, I put a mask around the areas that were showing through faintly, not a pretty solution but it works, I still don't know why though that you can see the outline of the graphic even though it is alpha-ed out

Ambassador of Style
    It depends on what method you used to knock out the unwanted material. Generally I split the image into 2 layers - and then delete the content on the bottom, making it transparent. I'll then select the top layer and using the wand, select the area I want to KEEP. Then, I alternate click and choose "select inverse" and delete. You usually have to play with the threshold settings a bit, but I've always gotten a clean edged PNG. Good luck!

-A02

It may have to do with the colors of the PNG image. Here are two jpegs that I believe show the problem you're having. The jpegs show two PNG images (the curved top and bottom) on top of a third PNG (circle image). The circle is grouped with a yellow rectangular vector image. Imagine a half circle (PNG) with a rectangle (vector) connected together.

The first jpeg is captured with the monitor set at 16bit the second at 32bit. Notice that the dark outline shows up on the circle where there is NO PNG covering it on the 16 bit image.

I noticed when I used the color picker in Flash on the PNG's in 32 bit color depth that I would get a RGB of 229, 189, 25 & a Hex number of #E5BD19 (the same as in Photoshop). However when I viewed the image with the monitor set at 16 bit I still got a RGB value of 229, 189, 25, but I would get TWO Hex values of #E8C020 & #FOC420 on the PNGs (alternating pixels).

Why the vector rectangle does not appear as the proper color when the PNG is on top of it is beyond me. I tried filling the vetor with a small (5x5) PNG bitmap thinking it would match up. Looks fine in Flash, but I still see the outline when I export the project. (Unlike your experience I COULD see the outline within flash.)

Don't know if this all makes sense, but perhaps you can look in this direction.

Brent
    [Edited by englund on 09-05-2001 at 01:11 AM]